Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
search for confectioner

Hi Looking for a lady Emily Welton nee Maynard she was born in 1881 and died in 1941 she married Fergus W Welton at St Philips church Sheffield on 21 February 1905 . we believe she was a confectioner and lived on Penistone Road at one time
Where do I look for that info

Alan T

Re: search for confectioner

Hi Alan, You need someone with access to the 1939 register, She is on the 1911 census at West Brightside. Household
Role
Sex
Fergus William Welton
Head
Male
Retford, Nottinghamshire
Emily Welton
Wife
Female
Sheffield, Yorkshire
Annie Winifred Welton
Daughter
Female
Sheffield, Yorkshire
Ivy Welton
Daughter
Female
Sheffield, Yorkshire
Lily Mary Welton
Daughter
Female
Sheffield, Yorkshire

Hello Alan.

In 1939 she is in the workhouse, Fir Vale house no 2 Herries Rd. Married and doing unpaid dpmestic duties born in '81.

Regards.

Terry

Hi, Alan, 1901 census shows she was a kitchen maid in St Pancas London, Birth place as Heeley Green.

Thank you I have just found her but ts the years between that I'm interested may find them on the Directories
alan

the family had connections in Peckham London her brother George Maynard went back and was employed as a Confectioner . NOT THE WINE GUM PEOPLE .
But I,m sure I once saw an entry from maybe a directory of Penistone rd Emily Welton confectioner 133 Penistone rd . But cannot remember when I or where I found it getting old !!!!!

Hi Alan,

After reading your request I have a couple of ideas.

Bassetts of Allsorts fame did have a factory just off Penistone Rd. Maybe she worked there?

I have also noted on a number of census of folks calling themselves confectioners who seem to be operating out of what I would call the corner sweet shop.

Bassetts looks to have been taken over and now call themselves Maynard-Bassetts. Is that a coincidence?

I had an aunt who worked there in the 1950-60's.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Note.
Bassett, George (, & Co. Manufacturing Confectioners).
Address: 54 Portland Street & Albert Terrace Road, in 1911.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

Portland St is off Infirmary Road.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Just to add to my last message......

I have just checked our "Marriage Database" over to the left under Parish Records and she is not there under either Maynard or Welton. Neither is Fergus.

Our St Philips transcriptions cover 1848-1962. If you are sure about this Church can you let me know please and I will have another look.

District: Ecclesall Bierlow
Birth - 133/46
Details: Emily MAYNARD - 01/01/1881

MAYNARD, EMILY CLARKE
GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 336

FreeBMD.
March 1905
Emily Maynard & Fergus W Welton. Sheffield 9c 564.

1939 Index.18 Handley St. Sheffield.
Fergus W Welton aged 62 Coal Trimmer.
James A Welton aged 23 Packer.

Emily Welton is as mentioned before in Firvale House the old Workhouse.
Beside the Domestic duties it has incapacitated they all do.Dont know if that means anything.She would have been 60 yrs old

I have looked into our directories under both names and neither of them are there but that was a long shot.

Did find this in our burial records.
WELTON, Emily (Wife of F Wm, age 59).
Died at 2 Herries Rd; Buried on April 17, 1941 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 4625, Section JJ of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister: ~: Removed from Sheffield Parish.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

Fergus & Annie Eliza are also in the same grave. He had remarried in 1944.

What did Emily die of??? that might give you a clue as to why she was in Firvale.....

Elaine in Ottawa

Instant Messenger: Skype

Ann Welton (mis-spelled "Walton" in the Directories) was an own account confectioner at 319 Penistone Road in 1911 and 1925 (near the Hillfoot Bridge)and was the mother of Fergus. Her daughter Ethel May Welton, along with two other women, was fined 5 shillings in November 1918. They were warehouse workers at the Great Central Station Bridgehouses, and stole 39 1/2 ounces of sugar, valued at 1s 5d, by sitting on the boxes and stealing from them under cover of their skirts. The womens' average earnings were £2 3s 6d. The railway detective found packages of suger wrapped in stolen envelopes in their pockets. Inspector Naylor of the Great Central Railway police said that they were having great difficulty in getting packages of eatables or confectionery through intact. Possibly Ethel May's mother's shop was the outlet for the stolen goods?

Ted

Brilliant I knew I'd seen a entry years ago but mis read it as Emily .

Fantastic result and proved my memory is not as bad as |I was beginning to think.

My daughter as a sweet shop at Elsecar Heritage centre called Emilys. She asked about her family history and relation to Emily Maynard, Welton.

strange world 12 months ago she was a travel agent .
Thanks again for yours and every bodies help and I will hang on to it this time .

regards Alan T

Hi
Thank you . Fergus married his wifes sister after her husband died , my wife remembers her as not a loving person as a Gran ma .

Thank you I will look to see what Emily died of .
cheers Alan

"On 1st April 1930, control of the workhouse passed to the Sheffield Public Assistance Committee and the workhouse, or Fir Vale House, as it was sometimes known, became the Fir Vale Infirmary. On the same date, the hospital side came under the control of the Council Health Committee who changed its name to the City General Hospital...In 1967 both the Infirmary and the City General Hospital combined under the name Northern General Hospital."
(from 'Life in the Workhouse & Old Hospital at Fir Vale' by Lyn Howsam)

Seems odd that the two medical establishments existed side by side for so long, before and after the founding of the NHS.

Hugh

Hugh

Emily Welton died in the No2 Herries Road in April 1941.
without buying a Death cert is there a way of finding out what she died of ??
My wife , Emily,s grand daughter said she was told it was a Strangled Bowel but Emily had been there before the 1939 register.

I will have to get the cert. or maybe records at City Archives if they carry the old books
What do you think
regards Alan Turner

Hi Alan, don't know if this has any bearing. The address Portland St / Albert Terrace Rd was where Bassetts factory originated it stretched between the two addresses. My Mother worked there some time between 1920/30. regards Barry

P.S I have just had a look at the map of the area and it is totally re built. If its of any interest there is a small lane off what is now Philadelphia Gardens it is the one going down after Straw Lane. At the end of that lane used to be St Paulicarps Church who's address was Albert Terrace RdJust above Bassett's Factory. Before redevelopment Portland St ran from Upperthope to Penistone Rd Parallel to Albert TerraceRd. Barry

Barry
I don't think she was a relative of the Bassett ? Maynard branch of the family I once looked into it but a different family , strange though unless the Maynard people ALL made sweets in London around Peckham

cheers alan

Elaine
Is there an other search for a cause of death other than the certificate ??

for Emily Welton deid April 1941 No 2 Herries rd .

regards Alan

Alan, the only way to find cause of death is to buy a death cert.
Dave