Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Occupation 1939 register

On the September 1939 register my grandfather"s occupation is recorded as,
Saw setter & sharpener. Below this is written Saw filer NR37 128 49
Has anyone an idea what the NR37 128 49 mean.

Re: Occupation 1939 register

I think it may be a reference to that page number in teh register but if you gave his name , birth yer & place we can have a look to see if it is something else

Hi,
His name was Henry(Harry) Brindley born 1885.
His address in the 1939 register is 10 Hallowmoor Road, Wisewood, Sheffield, 6.
I suspect it may relate to him changing his job title from saw filer to saw setter and sharpener.

Phil rich
Hi,
His name was Henry(Harry) Brindley born 1885.
His address in the 1939 register is 10 Hallowmoor Road, Wisewood, Sheffield, 6.
I suspect it may relate to him changing his job title from saw filer to saw setter and sharpener.
Ref above the house number is 18 and not 10

All the words in the occupation are in the same ink and hand. I am sure they were all written at the same time. The reference that follows is in different ink and handwriting.

I don't think it says 'setter'. The first letter is a 'B' so it looks most like 'Saw Belter' but I don't know what that would mean.

The spacing of the numbers looks like a date to me: 12 8 49

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I looked at photos of saw manufacturing on picturesheffield.com.
The works had belts hanging from the ceiling.
Image y05321 is a good example.
Maybe a saw belter was something to do with those?

Heths

I think job is Saw belter & sharpener & saw filer. I agree the 12 8 49 is a date added subsequently & the NR37 is a reference number for whatever event happened on that date. There is a marriage for a Henry Brindley to Gertrude A Hulme at Stoke Sept qtr 1949 which it may possibly be ? Also a Henry Brindley died at Stoke on Trent in 1959. The National Archives at Kew may be able to identify what the reference number is.

Hi,
Harry Brindley who married in Stoke is not the correct person.
I have all his details it is only the letters on the 1939 register that confuse me.
The occupation was definitely setter and sharpener as I did the job after he died.. if you enter Harry Brindley in Picture Sheffield there is a photograph of him sharpening a circular saw after the teeth had been set.
The NR37 puzzles me as I agree the 12 8 49 could be a date. He was working at H.H. Swann on Copper street before that time so maybe the job title changed at that date. What do you think.

Another suggestion - his year of birth was changed from '85 to '84, in the same handwriting as the NR37 code / date. Around 1949 he would become eligible for the old age pension - maybe he was refused as the authorities thought he was a year younger than actual. Have you seen his birth certificate etc? Was he really born in 1884 or 1885?

1885 at Barnard Castle. He was still working in 1965 when he died