Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
correct birth and christening for Sarah

Sarah Whiteley born to Thomas the grinder and wife Mary when she came to the states in 1850 and after gave her birth date as 6 June 1806 and christening date as 22 Aug 1806 and I see that on the site it came up as 3 May 1837 and 28 June 1837. On the ship roster it gives her age as 16. Do you have any good answer to me if this is my girl or not the other two children are her sister and brother, what a problem. Thanks

Re: correct birth and christening for Sarah

Hi Launa,

The entry on this site for Sarah, gives the date of birth as 5 Feb 1837, bap 28 June
1837. This corresponds with the actual register.

If, on the ships roster in 1850, her age is 16, she was born about 1834.

1841 census, Serjeants Row,Sheffield.
Thomas Whitely, 25, Tab knife grinder.
Mary Whitely, 35.
Sarah Whitely, 4 (1837).
Jane Whitely, 2.
All born in county.

If this is the right family that you are looking for, Sarah could not have been
born in 1806.

Moira.

Hi Launa & Moira,
The Sarah Whiteley(B;1837) on the 1841 census that Moira referred to also appears on the 1851 census still in Sheffield with her parents and sister Jane. So I think we can possibly rule out this Sarah if the 1850 ship crossing is correct.

If the ship log is also correct and Sarah was 16, that places her birth abt. 1834. If the 1806 birth is correct, Sarah would have been abt, 44 in 1850.

There were some Sarah Whiteley's born in 1834 but so far, I cannot find any in Sheffield and area.

There was a couple who married May 27th 1833- Thomas Whiteley and Mary Hartley, the banns were at Rotherham Parish Church and both were residents in that parish. Possible lead but not conclusive by any means.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Ok Ladies I am sorry I put the wrong birth in for Sarah Whiteley, it should be 6 Jan 18 34. Your both did good figuring out what I was looking for. The family story is that her mother died when she was young. While there in 2002 I was at the Sheffield Archive and copied her mother’s death as 24 Dec 1834 just 29 years old. She did sail Jan of 1850 to the US and in the Census of 1851 in St Louis Missouri so I know she is not the one you found there in 1841 & 1851. I have never been able to prove her birth yet, and maybe never will. She gave her birth date in the church records after she arrived in the US as above, so will use that. I just excited about the 1837 date when it came up when I was looking for her, I should have checked it out better before asking my question. Thanks for all your help, your site is the best ever, wish I had more relatives from Sheffield. Again thanks, Launa

Hi Launa,
There is someone with a Tree on Family Search free website that appears to have a lot of information. How reliable, who knows..??

They cite Sarah (JANE) Whiteley Born 6th Jan./1834 Sheffield.
Their reference is Sheffield Archives. They do not have a baptism for Sarah Jane. However there are births and baptisms for the other siblings
Susanna B:1829 Sheffield D:1830 Sheffield
Isaac B:1831 Sheffield D:1888 S.Africa
These two baptisms are on this site also.

This tree shows three wives for Thomas Whiteley,
MARY BEAL (1st wife) M:1828 died 1834
ANN WILLIS (2nd wife)M:1835 died 1847
HARRIET SUZANNE(aka Susannah)SAYNOR married 1848 died 1902

and I also found Thomas on the 1841 census at Thomas St.
Thomas age 30
Ann age 20
Sarah age 8
I wondered where Isaac could be and I THINK this may be him
living at 78 Netherthorpe St. with:
Isaac Beal age 55
Sarah Beal age 60
Isaac Beal age 10
One possible reason for the lack of a baptism for Sarah (Jane) Whiteley, could be that her mother Mary, was so very ill after her birth and died later that same year.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Your right this is the same family. Her mother died when she was 11 months old. Her brother was in the army and was sent to So Africa, I have worked a bit with them, they know nothing. I guess Issac never told them much about the family. Thank for all you help