Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mandrake house

Mandrake house ruins at end of East road. Now ground built on. Found on ordnance survey map 1890 Can anybody tell me anything ? I used to play in these grounds as a little girl. I am now 87 My dad used to come home with cuttings of various plants. A Marks and Spencer clothing manufacturer was situated on ground nearby then demolished. I do not know what is built there now. I am bursting with curiosity

Julia A

Re: mandrake house

Hi Julia,

I’ve got a 1923 directory. It has Mandrake House in it on East Bank Road, and lists it as being at the very end after house number 86. There was a Justice of the Peace living there then.

Heths

After Francis Forth J.P. (retired bank manager) died in 1930, his wife continued to live in Mandrake House until February 1933. When she left, the house remained empty and by September the lead and water and gas pipework had been stripped, and water was running through the house.

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me anything about the history of Mandrake House pre 20th century

Julia A

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me any history about Mandrake House pre 20th century

Regards Julia A

An Alderman called Robert Thomas Eadon used to live there. He was also a J.P.
He died in 1890. His family had a business making saws, files and edge tools.

Heths

PS - family business seems to have been Moses Eadon & Sons who had the President Works on Saville St.
There are pictures of the factory on picturesheffield.com

Heths.

The earliest reference I can find in the newspapers is a sale in 1842. I have sent you a jpeg Julia.

Hugh