Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PARENT OF GEORGE ROGERS

I am looking for the parents of George Rogers born 24 -0 05 - 1914 in Ecclesall Vol 9c Page 803
his fathers name is Percy Rogers he Married Hannah Wyatt on the 26 - 05 - 1913 in Owlerton Sheffield Percy's fathers name is given as George Rogers (deceased).
Hoping you can help me again.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: PARENT OF GEORGE ROGERS

Hi Fred,

ROGERS, Percy (Widower, age 31, Gas Worker, residing at 53 Freedom St).
Married Hannah WYATT, on May 26, 1913, by G C Weaver (Banns) at
St John The Baptist Church, Owlerton. Father's name is George Rogers,deceased (Foreman Gas Worker).
Married in the presence of Harry Wyatt, Ada Waterhouse.
Notes: ~.

The above from our marriage index.

From that Fred you can work out that Percy was born circa 1882. The GRO index will give his mothers maiden name.

You will then be able to check FreeBMD for a marriage between George Rogers and the GRO reference of Percy's mothers maiden name.

Have fun.... easy peasy. LOL

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Fred,

1911 census, 53 Freedom Street, Sheffield.
Percy Rogers, head, 30yrs, Service main layer, Sheffield Gas Co. born Sheffield.
Married 9yrs, 2 children born, 2 children died. ( A line has been put through this).
There is only Percy at the address.

Moira.

Hi Elaine,
Thank you very much for your very kind reply and valued informatiom I think I have now sorted this family out Percy Evelyn Rogers was born Jan - Mar - 1883 in Sheffield Vol 9c Page 492 his first marriage was to Annie Augusta Barker Oct - Dec - 1901 in Sheffield his Second marriage was to Hannah Wyatt Apr - Jun 1913 in Ecclesall Bierlow Vol 9c Page 586.
Percy Evelyn Rogers died Jul - Sep - 1917 age 34 in Sheffield. Annie Augusta Barker was born Jul - Sep - 1877 in ecclesall Bierlow Vol 9c Page 347 and died Jan - Mar - 1913 age 34 in Doncaster Vol 9c Page 1091 Hannah Wyatt was born Apr - Jun - 1892 in Basford Vol 7b Page 243 I have not found her death record as Yet.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Mora,
Thank you very much for your very kind reply and valued informatiom I think I have now sorted this family out Percy Evelyn Rogers was born Jan - Mar - 1883 in Sheffield Vol 9c Page 492 his first marriage was to Annie Augusta Barker Oct - Dec - 1901 in Sheffield his Second marriage was to Hannah Wyatt Apr - Jun 1913 in Ecclesall Bierlow Vol 9c Page 586.
Percy Evelyn Rogers died Jul - Sep - 1917 age 34 in Sheffield. Annie Augusta Barker was born Jul - Sep - 1877 in ecclesall Bierlow Vol 9c Page 347 and died Jan - Mar - 1913 age 34 in Doncaster Vol 9c Page 1091 Hannah Wyatt was born Apr - Jun - 1892 in Basford Vol 7b Page 243 I have not found her death record as Yet.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Fred

Theres a marriage in 2 Se9 1918 at owlerton:

Hannah Rogers, aged 29, Widow of 53 Freedom Street (where Hannah lived with Percy) to
John Alfred Herring, aged 36, bachelor, Gas Fitter, 169 Grammar Street

Ecclesall Bierlow Vol 9c Page 364 Jul-Sep 1918

Think Hannah Herrings death is on this site over in Burials - Hannah Jane Herring in 1869, as she is buried with a Florence Mary Ellen Rogers (wife of George) ??

Denise

Hi Denise, Thank you very much for your very kind reply< would you have the GRO record for the death of Hannah Herring this must be the correct detail's apart from Her Birth Date she was born Hannah Wyatt Apr - Jun - 1892 in Basford Nottingham you gave the death the as 1869.I have found a death record for a Hannah Jane Herring Oct - Dec - 1969 The details you have give must be correct because the lady she was buried with Florence Mary Ellen Rogers nee Parkin Would have been her son George@ wife, I am just Puzzled as to were the name Jane came from.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Fred

Well this might make the mystery deepen:

Hannah Jane Herring
Born: 18 Aug 1888
Died: Oct-Dec 1969, Sheffield, Vol 2D, Page 106

So this is very different birth to the one you have. I havent yet been able to find a birth record for a Hannah Jane Wyatt in 1888, but I have noticed a discrepancy in her fathers name on the 2 marriage certs.

On the marriage certificate of her marriage to Percy Rogers, her father is down as 'John William Wyatt - Forgeman'

However, on the marriage certificate to John Herring her father is down as 'John William Broadhead - Forgeman'

So a bit more digging needed!

Denise

Hi Denise,
I will have to send for a copy Marriage cetificate to sort this one out.
Thank you once again for all your time and trouble.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Fred

I've just sent you an email with further cert info!

It may be that it is the wrong Hannah - but the coincidences of

the same address Hannah Rogers was living at with percy
Hannah Rogers - widow
Buried with Florence Mary Ellen Rogers
Fathers christians names John William - Forgeman

Would all seem to be to coincidental to be wrong, but...

Denise

Hi Fred

To make matters worse I have now found a Hannah Jane Broadhead B 1891 - father John William Broadhead - forgeman, on the 1911 census.

So the marriage of Hannah Rogers to John Herring must not be your Hannah Rogers and the address and burial with Florence Rogers are just coincidental !!??

Apologies for leading you on a merry dance (but I am going to keep looking at this a bit more just for my own sanity)!!

Denise

Hi Fred et al,
This is a long shot but maybe someone could check the details.

Did Hannah Wyatt remarry in her maiden name in:
1919 Dec. qtr. Chesterfield District
to: Horace Nuttall..??

On this site both Nuttall deaths are recorded
Horace Nuttall died 1950 age 67 (B:abt.1882/3) (Weighman)
Hannah Nuttall (wife of Horace age 42) 1893/4
Horace is buried at Darnall Cemetery, Hannah at City Rd.

On Free BMD there are some births recorded with MMN Wyatt
John L. Nuttall B:1919 Dec qtr. Sheffield
Horace Nuttall B:1921 Mar.qtr. Chesterfield
Cyril Nuttall B:1922 Sept.qtr.Chesterfield

In 1922 Fred's Hannah would have been 39 yrs.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Fred

So I've done a bit more digging...

1. As we know Hannah Rogers, aged 29 (born about 1889), widow of 53 Freedom St (where your Hannah Rogers lived with Percy) marries John A Herring in 1918. All fits with your Hannah Rogers except her fathers name is given as John William Broadhead - Forgeman(?)

2. So I look for a 'Hannah Broadhead' who married a 'Rogers' - but couldnt find any(?)

3. I did however find 1911 census records for a 'Hannah Jane Broadhead, Born abt 1891 - Father - John William Broadhead, Forgeman' . But it gives Hannahs birthplace as 'Canada' which in itself is a bit odd as all the other children were born in Sheffield except for 1 younger sister(?)

4. Theres then the death and burial in 1969 for a Hannah Jane Herring, Birth date given as 18 Aug 1888, who is buried with Florence Mary Ellen Rogers - wife of George Rogers, son of your Hannah Rogers. All fits with your Hannah Rogers except for the introduction of the middle name 'Jane' and the birth date of '1888' (?).

5. So I go to the 1939 register and look for Hannah Jane Herring. She is living in Grammar St with husband John, daughter Elsie (born 1919), son Jack (born 1923) and Florence Mary Rogers (but no George). Interestingly the middle name 'Jane' was inserted later (?).

6. I then look up the births of Elsie and Jack Herring (Jack is actually John A) to get the mothers maiden name - expecting it to be 'Broadhead' but i find its WYATT !!

So its still somewhat of a mystery to be solved but it does seem that Hannah Jane Herring (formerly Rogers) could possibly be your Hannah Rogers (maiden name Wyatt).

Denise