Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Address

I have found that my ancestors Charles Hibbard 1838- and Elizabeth Hibbard 1838-1905 are shown in the 1861 census living (I think Norfolk Street, ---Chapel, 50 White Bear Walk. I know where Norfolk Street is but no idea where White Bear Walk could be.

Re: Address

Hi Marlene,

Just off the top of my head could "White Bear Walk" be the name of a Pub (White Bear?)

So many Lanes and Alleys off Norfolk St.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Marlene, take a look at Picture Sheffield and search White Bear. There are 31 answers.It looks like it was next to the Wesleyan Chapel on Norfolk street.
Dave

Edit, look at 1841 census over to left. Charles HIBBORD age 4 with his family at White Bear Walk

Dave & Marleen,

On the 1861 census their address is 18 White Bear Walk right next door to the Norfolk St Lower Chapel.

The family at the top of the page has the address of 2 & 4 Chapel Walk......"The Spread Eagle"

Elaine.

Thank you never thought to look at Picture Sheffield I shall have a look I know the area quite well used to work down there just never heard of White Bear Walk

Hi Marlene,

Check out the list of Pub past and present with Sheffield History Group. You can then at least rule in or out the possibility they we living in a pub.

Elaine.

The White Bear was on High Street (no. 8 and/or 10). On a 1888 insurance map the Walk was entered down a covered passage beside the pub and continued all the way to Norfolk street.

It's fascinating how the small houses are crammed into the spaces among the warehouses, shops, factories.

Marlene if you send me an email I will send you a snip of this map.

Hugh