Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial

Hi, I've been trying to find where my 2nd great grandfather George Henchley is buried. He died aged 48 on 16th April 1876 at 16 Pinstone Street of Phthisis. The death registered on the 10th April 1876 according to the death certificate but there doesn't seem to be any trace of a burial for him, did burials have to be registered at that time?

Re: Burial

Hi Bryan,

Just a few observations.

George was baptised as a "Wesleyan" in Derby.

Most of his children were not born in Sheffield.

1841 census has George in a "Home"? aged 13 in Mappleton/Ashbourn Derbyshire.
Needs further research.

On the following census he is a Commercial Traveler

The 1871 census wife Mary aged 26.
The 1861 census wife Eliza.

His will in 1876 has his wife as Mary.
If he had been ill with TB for quite some time another member of his or Mary's family could have paid for the burial away from Sheffield.

Like yourself he is not showing up on any of the burial records I have.

I had originally thought of St Philips or the General Cemetery
Could be that his name was spelt incorrectly and that's why he isn't showing up.

Instant Messenger: Skype

In 1876 16 Pinstone Street was George Forster's Pawnbroker shop.

There's a joke in poor taste possible here about him not being redeemed, and he's still there...

Hi Bryan, Have you access to Ancestry? You could look at his probate will for a clue. regards Barry

First wife Eliza died in Sheffield in 1867 aged 38. I can't find her burial either.

Mary married Henry WOOD in 1881 and had three more children. She died in 1911 and is buried with Henry at City Rd.

Grace Edith HENCHLEY age 6 months, daughter of George, agent, was buried in the General Cemetery (Consecrated) 29 Jun 1875. Address 2 Sharrow Head Terrace. It's a public grave, S2 150.

I've tried all sorts of searches but I can't find George.

Hugh

Would the bereavement services know where he was buried?

Hi, thanks for all the replies, I have a wealth of information about George Henchley on ancestry.co.uk, lots of newspaper stories, he was quite a character, liked his day in court. Probate says he was worth less than £100 at death but absolutely no record of a burial anywhere.
Thanks everyone for all your help

Does the will say where probate was granted

Yes the will was proved at Wakefield 21 July 1876

Do you know where George's parents were buried, could he be with them?

Hi, there aren't any burial records for his parents either

what were his parents called and when did they die please On George's death certificate who was the informant and had they spelt the name correctly?

His parents were Thomas Henchley b1790 d1863, Derby and Ann Shaw b1792 d1869 also Derby. On his death certificate the informant was his oldest living son Albert James Henchley.

Hi Bryan,

I have just notice that 8 of George's Children were all baptised at St Philips.
I believe they lived at Upperthorpe.

If they were all buried in "Public" graves one would still expect them to be listed.

This child was buried 1yr before her fathers death.
Henchley, Grace Edith (D. of George Henchley, agent, died on 26 Jun 1875, at the age of 6m).
Resided at 2 Sharrow Head Terrace and buried on 29 Jun 1875 in ? ground;
Grave Number 4924, Section S2 150 of General Cemetery, Sharrow.

Something very odd about this.

Bryan have you contacted the "General Cemetery"

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine, I've just ordered a cd with all 87,000 burials from the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust hopefully he will be in there, if not it could help find ancestors who I can't find on Sheffield Indexers.
Many thanks, Bryan

Hi Bryan et al,
is it possible the Henchley's were buried on one of the family?? farms in the St.Alkmund district of Derby.
Thomas Henchley was a farmer of 52 acres on the Nottingham Road in 1851 and in 1861 farmed 15 acres in Chaddesden Hill.
Just a thought.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy, without any records it's just speculation, I don't know if he owned the land, many in those days rented off the landowner to make a living so I doubt the family would be buried there.The old St Alkmund church is no longer there, demolished in late 60's to make way for road improvements so what happened to the graves from the churchyard I'm not sure, probably never know.