Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bellamy Family

Hi,
In my research I have come across a person that I am unable to find actual marriage records for or much else. I checked GRO and got the confirmation he existed.....

BELLAMY, HARVEY FOLJAMBE BIGGIN
GRO Reference: 1888 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 521

However I have found I think a record of marriage for him in Sheffield in 1908 and death in 1951, in Spilsby, through the BMD website. However I am unsure if this is the same Harvey Foljambe Bellamy as the one I am researching. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

Re: Bellamy Family

Hi Sarah,

Harvey Foljambe Bellamy, son of John and Fanny of 15 Dorking St, Labourer.
Baptised 28 November 1888, All Saints, Brightside.

1901 census 235 Petre St, Sheffield, Brightside Bierlow.
Fanny Bellamy, head, widow, 40yrs, born Sheffield.
Harvey F. Bellamy, son, 12yrs, born Sheffield.

1911 census 133 Brunswick Road, Sheffield.
Harvey Foljambe Bellamy, boarder/son in law, 22, mill underhand, Sheffield.
Annie Mary Bellamy, boarder/dau, 21, Sheffield.
John William Bellamy, grandson, 1, Sheffield.
Living with William and Annie Adsetts and family. William born Norton, Dby.

Marriage, Christ Church, Pitsmoor, 10 Oct 1908.
Harvey Foljambe Bellamy, 19, B, Mill underhand, 199 Spital Hill, father,John Bellamy,
deceased, Forge-man.
Annie Mary Adsetts, 18, S, 77 Scott Rd, father, William Tom Adsetts, foreman roller.
Witnesses: William Tom Adsetts and Mabel Adsetts.

Moira.

Hi Sarah,

1939 register, 1 Mawbrai (Mowbray) Street, Sheffield.
Harvey F. Bellamy, born 3 Nov 1888, Licensed Victualler, married.(Transcribed as Harry).
Annie Mary Bellamy (Knowles), born 11 Sep 1889, domestic duties, married.
George E. Bellamy, born 24 Jun 1912, wire hardener, married.
Emily Bellamy, born 13 Nov 1918, domestic duties, married.
One record closed.
Thos. H. Bellamy, 9 ? 1920, Asst. mechanic, single.
Alice M. H. Bellamy (Parkin), born 28 Dec 1923, unemployed, single.

Moira.

I have him in my tree too.My maternal grandma was a Bellamy. The marriage to Annie Mary Adsetts was on 10 Oct 1908 & is correct. His death was in Spilsby in 1951. Annie Mary died 1974 in Leeds.

SARAH, using free bmd George Ernest Bellamy married Emily Gilberthorpe in q1 1939 when emily was 21. They had a son Cyril Bellamy mother maiden name Gilberthorpe who was born in 1937 2 years before they married. Cyril is probably the closed record in the 1939 Register entry that Moira reported..
For your info, the gro index gives you mmn from 1837 to 1917. For after about 1915 you can get the mother maiden names for births using free bmd.
Dave

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. The Harvey Foljambe Bellamy I seek , was born 1888, and his father was David Bellamy and mother Ellen Bellamy (Biggin/s). The ones mentioned above have different parentage?

Regards
Sarah

Moira Hyde
Hi Sarah,

1939 register, 1 Mawbrai (Mowbray) Street, Sheffield.
Harvey F. Bellamy, born 3 Nov 1888, Licensed Victualler, married.(Transcribed as Harry).
Annie Mary Bellamy (Knowles), born 11 Sep 1889, domestic duties, married.
George E. Bellamy, born 24 Jun 1912, wire hardener, married.
Emily Bellamy, born 13 Nov 1918, domestic duties, married.
One record closed.
Thos. H. Bellamy, 9 ? 1920, Asst. mechanic, single.
Alice M. H. Bellamy (Parkin), born 28 Dec 1923, unemployed, single.

Moira.
This maybe one that I am looking for... I will follow up. Thanks

Thanks Dave, When I use the free BMD I get wedding information but not who they married? Am I missing something (like how to use it perhaps!) :-)

If you go ont the burial section on this site and for ist name put Harvey * and the surname Bellamy it shows a cremation in 1951 I know the middle name has been spelt differently but is this your harvey?

Sarah,
To find the spouse in a marriage you have to click on the page number in the record. That takes you to another page where all the brides and grooms on that page in the register are listed. If the marriage is after about 1915 it also tells you who married whom. Before 1915 that bit is missing so you need to find another way to identify which one.I cannot find a marriage for a David Bellamy to a Ellen Biggins. Where did you get that info?
I can find a marriage for John Bellamy to Fanny Biggins in Wortley, which is a part of Sheffield.
Dave

Hi Sarah,

The only Bellamy/Biggin marriage that I can find took place at St Matthew, Carver St,
Sheffield in 1858. David Bellamy, 19, file cutter, father, Joseph married
Ellen Biggin, 19, father, James.
Is this the marriage you have?
How do you know Harvey's parents are called David and Ellen?

Moira.

Hi

Ive found the marriage of David Bellamy to Ellen Biggin in Sheffield 22 Mar 1858, St Matthews - Carver lane, both were born in about 1839 (must have typing this the same time as Moira!!)

Following the census records through David Bellamy died in 1886 - so couldnt have been Harvey Fs father? (David is on this site in the burial records).

Cant find Ellen Bellamy in 1891, but in 1901 she is a widow living with 1 son - Samson. So no Harvey F as you would have expected if she was his mother.

Harvey Foljambe Bellamy was born in 1888 with mothers maiden name definately - Biggin.

John Bellamy married Fanny Biggin in 1888 and Harvey F was living with John and Fanny on the following census and its John on his marriage cert. Plus, he was baptised with parents John and Fanny.

So its the correct Harvey F Bellamy but his parents are John and Fanny. (maybe David and John Bellamy are related, as might Ellen and Fanny Biggin be??)

Sarah, absolute proof would be to send for Harveys birth certificate.

Denise

A tree on ancestry has clearly got his parents as John Bellamy and Fanny Biggins.

Denise
Hi

Ive found the marriage of David Bellamy to Ellen Biggin in Sheffield 22 Mar 1858, St Matthews - Carver lane, both were born in about 1839 (must have typing this the same time as Moira!!)

Following the census records through David Bellamy died in 1886 - so couldnt have been Harvey Fs father? (David is on this site in the burial records).

Cant find Ellen Bellamy in 1891, but in 1901 she is a widow living with 1 son - Samson. So no Harvey F as you would have expected if she was his mother.

Harvey Foljambe Bellamy was born in 1888 with mothers maiden name definately - Biggin.

John Bellamy married Fanny Biggin in 1888 and Harvey F was living with John and Fanny on the following census and its John on his marriage cert. Plus, he was baptised with parents John and Fanny.

So its the correct Harvey F Bellamy but his parents are John and Fanny. (maybe David and John Bellamy are related, as might Ellen and Fanny Biggin be??)

Sarah, absolute proof would be to send for Harveys birth certificate.

Denise
Thank you so much - yes I finally wored that out. I have his death as 1886. I assume they must be some relation to a bellamy and biggin - two families in Sheffield? But maybe not. I can't find any trace of Ellen in the 1891 census either, but found her as you said in the 1901.
I found the marraige info on the Free BMD site.

Moira Hyde
Hi Sarah,

The only Bellamy/Biggin marriage that I can find took place at St Matthew, Carver St,
Sheffield in 1858. David Bellamy, 19, file cutter, father, Joseph married
Ellen Biggin, 19, father, James.
Is this the marriage you have?
How do you know Harvey's parents are called David and Ellen?

Moira.
Thanks Moira, That is my couple - but I have since found not their son. I have another Bellamy-Biggin family with children being born around same time that confused me....

I have actually just found Ellen Bellamy in the 1891 census, misspelled name/transcribed...

Name Age
Ellen Bellam 51
Joseph Bellam 32
William Bellam 18
Mary A Bellam 15