Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elizabeth Hustler

Can anyone help me locate my 4x Great Grandmother? Elizabeth Hustler married my 4x Great Grandfather, Benjamin Siddall, in Rotherham 1819. They had 3 sons born in Sheffield before Benjamin passed away in 1825. Elizabeth then married George Billam in Rotherham 1831. In 1841 they were living in Corn Hill, Sheffield with two of Elizabeth's sons. George then passes away in Sheffield 1846, and I can't find Elizabeth anywhere after. I'm not sure where she was born, only somewhere in Yorkshire. I know she has a relative called William Hustler as he was a witness to her marriage to George.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Re: Elizabeth Hustler

Hi Kat,

Could this be her.

FreeBMD.
Marriages Sep 1857
Billam Elizabeth Sheffield 9c 348

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Kat, with regard to William Hustler, if you search the parish baptisms and burials over to the left for the name HUSLER you will see there are several generations of the same family including William who died 1864 age 61. There are all his children's baptisms with his wife Jane.
Also on Free BMD there is a Mary Husler death in Sheffield in 1864 age 83. I wonder if she was his mother., and therefore mother of Elizabeth.
Dave

Thank you Elaine, this is correct! She married Samuel Smith, which explains why I couldn't find her so easily.

Thanks Dave, but I've cracked it now thanks to Elaine! I had already had a look at baptisms in Yorkshire and found two reasonable entries, one in Sheffield and one in Pickering. Whilst trying for the umpteenth time looking at census records with names from marriage records I found she had married Samuel Smith and was born in Pickering. That baptism has William and Ann as parents.

Kat, you may find the following two burials of interest.
St Peter Sheffield Jun 1814 Amelia Husler Age 3 months. Mother Elizth Husler (Spinster)
St Peter Sheffield Jan 1 1817 John Husler Age 18 months. Mother Elizabeth Husler (Spinster)
Dave

Hi

The marriage Elaine found in 1857.
Elizabeth Billam widow age 30 married Thomas Jones on 8 Sep 1857 at Sheffield Parish Church. Her father's name was Stephen Ward.
Not sure if this is your Elizabeth.

When did Elizabeth marry a Samuel Smith?

A Samuel Smith married Elizabeth Jessop spinster on 31 Jan 1848 at Sheffield Parish Church.
also
An Elizabeth Billam spinster age 26 married Richard Thomas on 31 Jan 1848 at Sheffield Parish Church. Her father's name was Thomas Billam.

Sue

Yes I've got myself completely wrong. I was looking at the wrong marriage when I said Elaine gave me the right one. I thought she must have married Samuel in 1848, but as you say that's to Elizabeth Jessop. Back to square one! I was convinced I'd found her too.

Kat,
According to GRO index Elizabeth BILHAM age 66 died in Sheffield in Dec quarter 1857.
Dave

Dave T
Kat,
According to GRO index Elizabeth BILHAM age 66 died in Sheffield in Dec quarter 1857.
Dave
...died in the Workhouse, buried St Mary's Bramall lane

From a transcription. Benjamin Siddle married an elizabeth HUSTER on 23rd May 1819 at Rotherham All Saints. Not checked the original.

Thank you. I'm going to order her death certificate as this is probably most likely her.