Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Volume and Page reference

Hi,

I am still new to this researching of family tree, and wondered where the original records of birth, death and marriage etc are? What shows online is page/volume etc but would I have to go to the actual Parish/church to see the record?

Thanks

Re: Volume and Page reference

The page and volume number is the reference only if you contact the General Records Office at southport to order a certificate the register offices have a different indexing system. John

Sarah, you can order certificates online at the GRO website., using the references you have from Ancestry orFMP or FreeBMD,
Some older birth and death certs can be obtained by email at a cost of £6 each. Paper certs (birth marriage death)can also be ordered there at a cost of £11each and arrive by snail mail. They can send to Australia in both cases.
The web site is simple to use though if you use its index to find births and deaths from 1837 to 1915 the search I engine is a bit quirky. However that is worthwhile because you can get mother maiden name there and age at death. This info can save a lot of time and money.
We are happy to help if you tell us which people you are researching
Dave

Thanks. Would the original certificate have any further information? Or just the information I can see online?
Thanks again

A birth cert has :
Date of birth, name, father name and occupation, mother name and maiden name, date and place of registration
A death cert has name, date of death, place of death, cause of death, name and relationship of person registering the death, date of registration and place of registration
Marriage cert has full names and ages and addresses of bride and groom, place of ceremony, names and occupations of the the fathers of the bride and groom, names of witnesses, date of marriage. If the bride is a widow it will also state her maiden name.
Generally speaking your method should be to discover what you can online then decide where you need a certificate either to confirm something, or to move on.
Dave
Edit parish records should also be used. They can show the marriage full record. Also If the child was baptised the baptism record will show parents names. Burial records can als be used if available, and can be particularly useful if the grave details/occupants are given, or if there is info on a gravestone.