Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1911 census

Hello, does anyone have access to the 1911 census and would be willing to check a couple of things please
as I do not have any access.

In the 1901 census the Johnson family were living at 27 Britnall Street.

In 1911 the family were still living at Britnall Street, with Hannah Johnson now being head of household with only George, Mark and Joseph. Nora is now missing
I am looking to find her ( b 1890 in Sheffield d. 1974 in Sheffield) in the 1911 census. We know that she did not marry but possibly went to live in the Blackpool/Lytham area as a Housekeeper.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Re: 1911 census

Hi

I’ve found two Nora Johnsons in Lancashire in 1911 who are the correct age. Both are boarders, both are weavers, one is living in Barrow and the other in Heywood. Unfortunately, both say they were born in the town in which they are living. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they were (I have relatives saying they were born where they are living at the time of the census but I know that they weren’t) but it does mean that it’s difficult to tell which one could be the correct Nora.

I have, though, found her in the 1939 Register. She is living at 676 Lytham Road, Blackpool and is employed as a housekeeper by a widower with young children.
Hope this helps
Carol

Carol, many thanks. Maybe she went to Lytham later than we thought.

I think Norah (that spelling) and her sister Florence are both live-in staff at Walsh's drapers on the High Street. They were Housemaids so probably were working in the staff accommodation itself. There were 63 staff in residence on census night, including 14 housemaids.

Hugh

Hugh, can you please confirm address - is it Sheffield. Many thanks

Yes it is. The store was destroyed in the blitz in 1940.
Here is a photo from Picture Sheffield (there are more):
http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s10497&pos=20&action=zoom&id=13560

Hugh

I believe the staff quarters were on the top floor(s).

Hugh

A big thank you once again to all you wonderful Sheffield Indexers !