Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ecclesall High School, Broad Elms Lane

I attended above mentioned private prep school, 1952-1958. I can find no trace of its existence in any local records. CJW

Re: Ecclesall High School, Broad Elms Lane

Hi,

Could it be that it changed its name? When I Googled I only found two Secondary Schools in the Bents Green Area.

There are two secondary schools within Ecclesall ward, High Storrs School and Silverdale School. The ward also includes Ecclesall Infants and Junior Schools, Dobcroft Junior School, Greystones Primary School, Mylnhurst Convent School, and St Wilfrid's Primary School.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi C.J.,

If you 'Google', Ecclesall High School, Broad Elms Lane, Sheffield and scroll
down to the entry headed 'Old School House on Bents Rd' which is on the
Sheffieldhistory.co.uk site, there is some info plus maps.

Moira.

Thanks for the information. I'm curious as I attended the school from 1952 to 1958 and would like to know more about what happened. The two maiden ladies that ran the school were a really charming and interesting pair, I wonder what happened to them

Hi,

Found this entry on the 1939 register.
2 Broad Elms Lane, Sheffield.
Ethel M. Givens, single, Joint Principal of Private School.
Mary R. Hambley, single, Joint Principal of Private School.
One record closed.

Moira.

Thank you for the information. High Storrs and Silverdale were state schools for pupils who had sat their 11+ exam. Ecclesall High School was a private prep. school.

Moira, thank you for the further information about Ecclesall HS and the principles. Is there anywhere I can find out what happened to the contents when the school was disbanded and why it was closed, and Miss G. and Miss H? C.J.

Hi C.J.

Theres a short thread on Sheffield Forum

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/188763-ecclesall-high-school-any-memories

plus the info provided earlier

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/12441-old-school-house-on-bents-roadecclesall . Read the post by BAYLEAF

So it seems that the school building was owned by Ecclesall All Saints parish church, and they leased it to 'the misses' for the school. It seems they didnt carry out much upkeep over the years so the building was not in a good state. Then there was a very bad gale in 1962 which did further damage. The church was not able to afford the necessary repairs and decided to sell the building - so gave the school notice to quit and the school closed.

Sheffield Archives hold the minutes of Ecclesall All Saints Parochial Church Council from 1961 - 2006

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/N13819829

So its possible the Parish Council minutes record the decison to close the school and what happened to the school contents when the building was sold, so you might wish to contact the archives??

Denise

GRO Deaths MAR Qtr 1975
HAMBLEY Mary Ruth (born 25 Feb 1890)
Sheffield 3 1267

GRO Deaths JUN Qtr 1980
GIVENS Ethel Mary (born 31 Dec 1891)
S Shields 2 1415

Hugh

Hi

There are two photographs on Picture Sheffield. One of the school and one of the pupils in 1954; you may well be able to spot yourself.

Carol

It is also labelled as 'The Old School House' on Google maps