Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Workhouse

Looking for information on a Jonathan Bills 1802-1881 born in Bradford wife Mary Greaves 1811-1868.
In the 1881 census Jonathan (widow) is recorded as being at 93 Grammar Street (Nether Hallam). and died during April of that year age 79. I understand that he was admitted into the Workhouse sometime around that time but can find no information at all. I should like to find out which workhouse he was admitted into and where he would have been buried. Hope you can help I have come up against a brick wall.

Re: Workhouse

Hi Marlene,

Jonathan Bills aged 78 of Sheffield, buried 17 April 1881 at St Nicholas, Bradfield.

Mary Bills aged 57 of Daniels Hill, Port Mahon, Sheffield. buried 1 December 1868
at St Nicholas, Bradfield.

Moira.

Is there any reference to Jonathan Bills going into the Workhouse as I am not sure if this is correct. Does it say where he died don't want to get it wrong. Thanks for what you have found I could not find where they had died so that is a great help.

Hi Marlene,

On the 1881 census for 96 Grammar Street, Nether Hallam, Ecc.B.
Jonathan Bills, father, widr, 79, formerly file cutter is living with his
son Fairwell Bills and his family. Jonathan is shown as being born in Sheffield.
The birth places on the first three entries are a bit confusing, I think Fairwell
should read Bradfield, and his wife Sarah as Bradford.

In 1871, Langsett Road, Sheffield, Jonathan Bills, 69 born Ecclesfield.
Living with son Farewell.

In 1851, Infirmary Gardens, Sheffield, Jonathan Bills, 48, born Bradfield, Yks.
Mary Bills, wife,38, born Bradfield, Yks.

Jonathan Bills born 19 July 1802, bap 22 Aug 1802 St Nicholas, Bradfield,
Father John of Agden Side.

Is this the information you have already?

Moira.

Thank you but I have most of that it is the workhouse story which I am interested in I need it confirming if is true or not for my family tree. I have picked up the information through Ancestry but not the Workhouse part. I picked the workhouse from another tree so not sure and I can find no reference of it.

The death cert will say where he died.
Dave

Hi Marlene,

Dave beat me with his reply. Based on where Jonathan Bills was living, if he did
go into the workhouse, I would think it would be Fir Vale. According to online
information, the Fir Vale records were destroyed in the war, so the death certificate
seems the only option. You could try contacting one of the tree owners on Ancestry
to see if they have the death certificate.

Moira.

If he lived in the ecclesall brierlow area (one website says this included nether Hallam) then the archives in town on shoreham street have records from the workhouse at nether edge (ecclesall union). I found my great grandparents in the records and they were from the ecclesall brierlow area. If you have the death date it will cut down on the search. The records are quite interesting and worth having a look. You need to look at the inmates records and the creed records. The staff at the archives are very helpful. The records tell you when are where they were buried if they died at the workhouse.

Unfortunately I no longer live in Sheffield so very difficult to visit now, used to go in there quite regularly loved it.

I shall have to search further to find the information which I am looking for. I may contact Sheffield Archive to see if they can help. Thanks for all your help

Marlene,
The 1881 census was on 3rd April. Jonathan was buried just 2 weeks later. If he went into to hospital in that time then it would have to be a Workhouse hospital; there was no other. Although Fir Vale was newly built and had just started to operate at that time it was not officially opened until September of that year.
If he did go to Fir Vale you will not find it, as Moira said. If he did go to Nether Edge then you may find an admission record at the Archives.Would he be admitted through the Workhouse register?
If you purchase the death cert on line, I believe a pdf is about £6, you are guaranteed to find out where he died.
Dave

Bradfield MI

C6
Sacred to the memory of SARAH daughter of JONATHAN AND MARY BILLS of Bradfield who departed this life June 30th 1852 aged 16 years.
To this sad tomb thou art drawn near,
Where rests a maid much lov'd, a daughter dear,
Who knew no pleasure when to sin allied,
Nor gave her parents trouble until she died.
This simple tribute let her worth receive,
Tis all her sorrowing parents now can give.
Also of HARRIET BILLS their daughter who departed this life January 4th 1858 aged 16 years. Also the above named MARY BILLS who departed this life November 28th 1868 aged 57 years.

Hugh

What a very sad message, thank you for finding that information out for me. I can now add this to my family tree.