Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas Ibbotson

On the parish records (this site) there is a baptism for Thomas Ibbotson 1797 of tagstones (Hagstones) with father John. On the 1841 census there is also a Thomas Ibbotson from Hagstones with parents John & Mary Ibbotson but Thomas is shown as 53 (1788) trying to clarify if they are the same Thomas Ibbotson. Any help appreciated.

Re: Thomas Ibbotson

where were they living in 1841? if thomas was still with his parents in 1841 then how old were they? Dont forget also that in 1841 the ages were not necessarily correct as they were usually rounded up or down. Another thing to think about was could Thomas have been baptised when he was 9 years old and hence 1788 is correct.

Hi John

The family including Thomas in 1841 were at Hagstones as farmers & cutlers ( a document I have dated 1810 shows that John Ibbotson of Tagstones had a mortgage from Nathaniel Shirt of Denby Mills Penistone for land called Aspe Lands, it was on the Hagstones Road). The 1841 shows John & Mary aged 74, but I believe John was born 1765. Also I think Mary Ibbotson's ( nee Marshall) grandmother was a Margaret Shirt Yes there could have been 9yrs before baptism.

Regards

David

Hi Dave,

Just uploaded to our Database.

1838-09-30 Ibberson Elizabeth Joseph Matilda Asp Lands Cutler ~ W Gill St Nicholas Bradfield

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

David. If you look further into the parish baptisms over to the left you will see you that Thomas had a brother Benjamin baptised 1799 and a sister Sarah baptised 1803. That makes it unlikely that Thomas was born 9 years earlier. A search of Fmp baptisms shows there was a Thomas with father Jonh baptised 1791 bradfield and another in 1788 baptised Aston *** Aughton, also with father John. Also there are burials at Bradfield in 1799 of Benjamin and a Thomas in 1803. Overall it seems unlikely that the 53 year old in 1841 can be identified with the baptism in 1797.
Dave

Hi Elaine

Thanks for that, I see her brother Henry is there as well.

David

Hi Dave

I was aware of the other family members on the baptism register. I am interested though regarding the Aston baptism for Thomas, because I have a marriage document relating to a marriage between a John Ibbotson of Coldwell Ecclesfield & Mary Marshall of Aston Bank Gate in Aston that took place at the Parish Church of Aston 17 January 1787.

Regards
David

What I also meant to add was does the Aston baptism really link with Hagstones/Tagstones?

Sorry, I got Benjamin and Sarah the wrong way round . However it does not change the conclusion because a Benjamin died in 1803,the year he was baptised.
As Elaine has indicated, the records are very poor quality so there could easily be an unreadable record for the Thomas born 1788, or perhaps he was non conformist .
Incidentally if you look at Bradford Archives you can find Thomas Born about 1788 in several of the militia lists of the 1820s and 1830s.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you checked with Malcolm re the Hagstone/Tagstone abode.

Us Yorkshire folks luv dropping our "H's" and maybe the curate heard it as a "T".. Especially if the stone was pronounced "stewunes". I dont write Yorkshire but I think you get the drift.

Keep going I would love you to match up with my Ibbotsons of Tankersley & Ecclesfield.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype