Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shepherd family, Brightside

Hello, I am trying to find information about the Shepherd (Shephard/Shepard) family from Brightside . The earliest information I have is in 1841 census.

how do I delve further back to the parents of Edson/Edward b. abt 1806 in Brightside. He was married to Frances Rhodes, I believe.

I am trying to find out if George Harry Shepherd b. 1865, married twice, as a child called Frances , b 1886 keeps cropping up. She was born before George marriage to Emily Crossland in 1890.

Thank you for any information you may be able to help me with.

Re: Shepherd family, Brightside

Hi Angie,

You are now back to where you have to use Parish Registers.

Prior to 1841 census and the fact that there were so few churches in Sheffield, Sheffield Parish Church is where I would suspect they could be.

Have you looked at the Parish registers over to the left you might be able to find them there.

Let us know if we can help further.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Angie,

I think Frances Shepherd is the sister of George H. Shepherd.

1881 census, 92 Jenkin Road, Sheffield.
Thomas Shepherd, head, mar, 42 Sheet steel roller.
T. (Theresa)Shepherd, wife, 40.
GEORGE H. Shepherd, son,16, Sheet steel roller.
Fras. (Frances)Shepherd, dau, 5.
Tom Shepherd, son, 3.
All born Brightside Bierlow.

1891 census, 89 Tipton St, Sheffield.
George H.Shepherd, head, mar, 26, Sheet Steel Roller.
Tom Shepherd, Brothers son, 13. (Most probably his brother).
Bernard Shepherd, Brothers Son, 9.
Frances Shepherd, daughter, 15. (On FMP has been transcribed as 5yrs).
(George gives this address when he marries Emily).

Frances Shepherd, born 2 June 1875, bap 16 June 1875 at Sheffield Parish Church.
Parents, Thomas and Theresa of Brightside, Sheet Roller.

Moira.

I see that sometimes he is shown as Edwin. In 1806 an Edwin Shepherd born Brightside - father John mother Hannah. In 1851 John aged 75 is living with several other family members including some Rhodes.

According to GRO index Frances, Tom and Bernard were full siblings, mmn Cardwell. GEORGE Harry had mmn Ward so he was presumably their half brother.
Dave
Edit Correction, Thomas Shepherd married Teresa Cardwell in q3 1859 so she must be George Harry's mother also. Not finding George Harry birth on gro index

Hi Dave

Interestingly if you look at the 1871 census - Thomas and Theresa are living with son George Harry and a daughter Ellen, aged 8.

GRO has Ellen born in 1862 - MMN Ward, same as George Harry ??

So it seems the older children have MMN Ward and the younger children MMN Cardwell. Even though Thomas and Theresa have been married all the time.

On Thomas and Theresa marriage cert there is no fathers name for Theresa, so I'm wondering if its something to do with that (I've had that problem in my own tree where the mother remarried and the daughter chopped and changed maiden names when registering her own childrens births)??

Denise

Denise,thanks for that. Always something new to learn in family history. I note there were 2 other chldren mmn Ward, George Alfred and Lucy Emily. Both died young. I am guessing that the Ward ones were registered by one parent and the Cardwell ones by the other.
Dave

Is this the right family?

1851 census, Kimberworth St. Kimberworth, Rotherham
George Ward, head, mar, 28, engine driver, born Greasbrough.
Ellen Ward, wife, 32, born WAKEFIELD.
Theresa Ward, dau, 9, born Masbrough.
Joseph Ward, son, 6, born Kimberworth.

1861 census, White Swan, Brightside, Sheffield.
George Ward, head, mar, Publican, born Greasbro.
Ellen Ward, wife, 39, born Wakefield.
Joseph Ward, son, 16, born Kimberworth.
Plus one servant.

On the 1871 census, Theresa gives her place of birth as WAKEFIELD.

Marriage, 30 April 1842, St Mary, Ecclesfield.
George Ward, full age, Bat, sawgrinder, Shiregreen, Joseph Ward, Labourer.
Ellen Cardwell, full age, Spin. of Shiregreen, Samuel Cordwell, Labourer.

So Theresa is born about 1841, then her mother Ellen marries in 1843.

Moira.

Hi Moira

I'd say that looks right and is what I was thinking might explain the differing MMN for Theresas children! Nice find!

Denise

Posting this for Angie,

I have been investigating the Shepherd family history through yourselves - Sheffield Indexers (which has been brilliant).

There does seem to be a large number Shepherd´s in the Brightside area, therefore a number of them will be related. Our direct ancestor is Edward Shepherd b. 1807 - 1873 , his wife being Frances (Rhodes) Shepherd 1807-1870.

From my research I have found that there are many Shepherd´s buried in St. Thomas graveyard.

I am interested in particular in seeing any relevant gravestones relating to the family (and any other family connections I can make).

The ones I have found so far relating to St. Thomas´are -

Grave number 547, containing Edward, his wife Fanny, also Elizabeth and William - brother to Edward.

Grave nu 359, section OP there is a grave containing Charles Shepherd,b. 1840 buried 9/12/1909, aged 68 of 97 Robey Street and a Hannah Wilby Woodhead (? Shepherd & William Woodhead who were related.

Grave nu. 559 Dora Shepherd d. age 2, buried 13 Mar 1870 and Sidney Unwin Shepherd d. age 4, 3 March 1870

children of Charles (1840-1909) and Hannah Shepherd b. 1842

Additionally could you tell me if there are any records of Brightside Village prior to 1841, as we are thinking a John Shepherd b.1776 , of Brightside Village could be related ?

This is possibly a long shot but we are stuck for any Shepherd ancestors further back.

Many thanks for any information you are able to provide and any other suggestions you are able to make.

Seasons Greetings from the South of Spain.

Angie Johnson

Instant Messenger: Skype

Angie, if you look back to the fourth message in this thread you will see that Susan has already identified John Shepherd born 1776 , with his wife Hannah, as the parents of Edwin Shepherd born 1806,And she shows that John was in Brightside on the 1851 census age 75.
The GRO Index shows that he died age 83 in 1858 and his burial is on this site over to the left.
Dave

A Big Thank you for ALL the information