Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatrice Mary Venner b 1902 d 1903 Derbyshire Lane/Norton Cemetery

I have details of her parents' grave where her brother is also buried. (Henry, Jemima and George Nelson Venner)
But I can find no reference to exactly where Beatrice is buried in this cemetery, although records show it as her place of burial.
Do you have any information please?
Thank you
Ann Braham
(great niece of Jemima nee Gilliland)

Re: Beatrice Mary Venner b 1902 d 1903 Derbyshire Lane/Norton Cemetery

Hi Ann,

Have you tried City Road Cemetery? They administer the Municipal Cemeteries. Bereavement Services I am sure will try and help.

We have transcribed Norton and as you say she is not listed there or in any of the other cemeteries we have transcribed.

Hope you find her.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Ann

It seems that George, Henry Nelson and Jemima are buried in consecrated ground, grave Va 5.
Beatrice is buried in consecrated ground, grave S 126. Burial Date 15th April 1903; Age 10months.

This information is from Sheffield FHS transcriptions.

Anne

Hi Ann & Anne,

I have changed our transcription to read Venner. We had Verner.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you so much for this. I am hoping to visit Sheffield and see all the places that the family lived (and died)

Kathleen Venner, daughter of Gertrude d 1927

I noticed this child on your transcripts. Gertrude was the name of one of the many daughters of Henry and Jemima Venner. She married in Edinburgh in 1930. If Kathleen was her child, would she have been buried in concecrated ground as an possible illegitimate child? (birth and death appear to have been registered)
Any ideas welcome!
Thank you
Ann

Re: Kathleen Venner, daughter of Gertrude d 1927

Ann, try looking at all the other children buried in this mass grave. They all came from local hospitals over a matter of a few days in March 1927.
Dave

Ann, also you should read the Legitimacy Act of 1926
Davr

Thanks. Do you know why these children died over this short time? was there an epidemic?

Ann, there were 13 burials in 12 days in that one grave. 12 of them were young children and one was a 77 year old. 12 of them died in hospital. That does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary.
Dave

Andrew Venner

Thanks everyone for your help.

I also have a record of Andrew Venner, b&d 1905, again son of Henry and Jemima. No burial record - does anyone have any info?