Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for sisters?

From things I have found out about the past, I believe that me and my other two sisters could have at least another two sisters that may have been adopted, I don't know to start searching for any evidence to prove that we have, any help would be much appreciated Thanks Penny. Fathers name Horace Yates born 1910, Mothers name Doris Yates maiden name Brown was married before to Herbert Scofield died in the war in 1943, Doris and Horace married 28th Dec 1943, Had Christine Lesley on 28th January 1944 then Jennifer Margaret in October 1945 then Penelope Anne in 1955.Doris Brown was born 12th March 1919 on Melville Road Attercliffe. Thank you.

Re: Looking for sisters?

Penny,
You need to use the website Free BMD. As it says it is free to use.
Do a search for Births and put in the surname Yates. In mother surname put Brown. For date period put 1942 to 1970.
If you skim through the answers you will see that you and Christine are there born Sheffield. Jennifer Margaret is not, though there is a Jennifer S born in Blackburn in 1945.
There are 2 other female Yates, mother maiden name Brown born in Sheffield which may answer your question but you would need to buy the actual birth certificates from GRO to confirm that the parents were Horace and Doris. You would also need to check, again on Free BMD, whether those children died soon after birth.
Let us know if you have any problem.
Dave

Re: Looking for sisters?

Hi

There is a Jennifer M Yates Born in Sheffield, quarter 4, 1945 but with mothers maiden name as 'Schofield'. So for some reason Doris gave her previous married name rather than her maiden name for that sister.

Denise