Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for John Thomas Marshall, born 26 May 1939

Hi all. I'm looking for a long lost friend of my mothers. I have tried all the genealogy sites and other ways to contact him but can't find him.
He was born 26 May 1939. At around age 18 he lived in Pearl St, Sheffield.
He worked on the ship RMMV Athlone Castle, one of the ships in the Union Castle Line.

Now he would be in his late seventies and I'm hoping to make contact.

Is there anyone who can help me find him?

Re: Looking for John Thomas Marshall, born 26 May 1939

Hi Shirley

You might want to try posting on Sheffield Forum in the 'History and expats' thread (if you havent already tried there?).

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forum/5-sheffield-history-amp-expats/

Thats more likely to reach him (if he stayed in Sheffield after the ships) or someone who might know/have known him.

Denise

Thank you so much, Denise! I appreciate your advice.

Hi Shirley,

The only John T Marshall I can see that was born in that time period was the following.

Births Jun 1939 (>99%)
Marshall John T Horton Kidderminster 6c 192

Taken from FreeBMD.

Ancestry has the following.

Name
John Thomas Marshall
Birth
26/05/1941
Death
08/2005 Sheffield Yorkshire England

This is the correct birth day and month but not the year.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Shirley,

The only John T Marshall I can see that was born in that time period was the following.

Births Jun 1939 (>99%)
Marshall John T Horton Kidderminster 6c 192

Taken from FreeBMD.

Ancestry has the following.

Name
John Thomas Marshall
Birth
26/05/1941
Death
08/2005 Sheffield Yorkshire England

This is the correct birth day and month but not the year.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Elaine, that's great to know. I've asked my Mum if this could be his birth year and it's possible. Thank you very much for looking into this. This will help me narrow down against the other details I have.

Hi Shirley et al,

I think Elaine is on the right track with the birth for John Thomas Marshall in 1941, his baptism and those of his siblings, Gilbert-B:1939, and Raymond- B:1946 appear on this website over to the left under Parish Records. Parents Doris (nee Seabrook) and Ernest Marshall (occupation:labourer)
If these names sound familiar to your 'rellie' I think your mystery has been solved and that John Thomas Marshall most likely died in 2005.

There is also a wealth of other information about the Marshall family going back to John Thomas's grandparents-George Frederick and Priscilla. e.g. Where they lived at various birth events etc.,

You mentioned J.T. was a seafaring type, this probably came from his maternal grandfather-George Seabrook (very apt) who was a chief petty officer in the Royal Navy.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: