Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
marriage on FMP

Would some kind person please do a lookup for me on FMP?
Sarah Rodger born 1782 married John Elliott at St Mary's Ecclesfield in 1802. There is both the Bishops Transcript and the marriage on FMP. Trying to find John's Occup though I know it is unlikely to be on there.
Many thanks
Lyn

Re: marriage on FMP

Hi Lyn,

I dont have Find My Past but is John Elliott from Barnard Castle Co Durham? If so there is a tree on Ancestry with him in it. The date is slightly out.

I did find the marriage on S&DFHS disk but as you said no occupation listed.

Where did they live after marriage?

If it is the chap from Durham not much info on him and he seems to have died about 1826.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

That is why I am querying it Elaine. The lady whose tree it is has contacted me asking me to confirm things and I have a Sarah marrying at Ecclesfield to a a John Elliott and I am just trying to confirm it is the correct John Elliott she has because it is also an Ecclesfield surname too. You know what Ancestry is like at handing out hints that bear no relation to what you are researching and some people just click and accept without trying to check it is correct. She also has Sarah being born at Mickleton as an alternative which is definitely incorrect. Not quite my direct line.
Thanks
Lyn

I seem to remember a query that we had before re Barnard Castle but I can't see it in the search.

If we ignore what Lisa has for the time being, do you have anything more other than that marriage in 1802. That would help us either agree with what Lisa has or not.

Elaine

The marriage on FMP doesn't give occupations but the name is written as Ellott,with the i missing. There is a John Ellott baptised in Ecclesfield Church 1781, son of Joshua of Chapeltown but, the only other reference i can find of him is on the 1851 census,where he is living at 15 Ct Edward Street Sheffield age 68 widower cutler., as a lodger with Robert and Mary Jubb.Obviously ,i don't know if this has any relevance to what you are looking for. regards Sheila

The one who contacted me is the Marsden tree (Hilary Marsden).
For Sarah Rodger she has the correct parents taken from another tree with 2 different places of birth - I keep my tree private and it was researched in the days of trekking to the archives and buying certificates etc, but everything else she has is Barnard Castle way etc. She is particularly interested because I gave someone the story of my 4 x GT grandmother in the days before Ancestry - she was mauled by a bear at High Green in 1790 - she died 2 days later. This story has ended up on many tees where there is no real connection to my family tree just because people love to have it in their tree and seem to make it fit. You know the type of connection - 'my husband's, sister's husband's, brother in laws, aunt's husband's adopted sister's .............and so on. I am ranting now I know. :relaxed:
Lyn

Hi Lyn,

Have you looked at the Apprenticeship Database. Over to the left.

There is a John ELLIOTT there father Joshua a Lab of Chapeltown.
He was apprenticed to two different men both filesmiths.
1796+7yrs =1803 minus 21 age birth around 1782 which matches those Ecclesfield baptisms

When he was with the first chap maybe he was younger than the usual 13yrs. Apprenticeship states 7-10 years.

There are three John Elliotts on our 1841 census index. All aged 60.

One in Brightside Workhouse no occupation stated.
One on Howard Lane. Lab
One on Young St a Spring Knife Cutler

Dont know if this helps or hinders but its yours to use as possibles.

Elaine.

Just to add......
There is a John & Sarah Elliott, Bank, Barnard Castle on the 1851 census John 70 & Sarah 68.He is a weaver.

I strongly feel the Durham people are not yours Lyn.

Elaine.

That is what I am thinking too but that is what the tree owner wants to claim as hers. She has taken my Sarah plus her parents and added them to her tree. Without proof then I cannot prove she is wrong. My gut feeling said it was wrong too. Just did not make sense. I think Sarah is more likely to have married the Chapeltown John Elliot. I descend from Sarah's brother.
Thanks to everyone for looking at it.
Lyn

I did think there was a possible Sarah baptised at Ecclesfield. I believe her father was Francis but I would have to re check that?

Yes..... 15th April 1782 father Francis abode High Green. (S&DFHS)

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Lyn and Elaine
I'm not sure if this is any help, other than to muddy the waters even more. There is no age given for Sarah Rodger in the register when she married in 1802 and so how sure are you that she was born in 1782?
In addition to the baptism Elaine has listed in 1782, there is also a Sarah Rodger, father John baptised 28 December 1778 at Ecclesfield. The family lived in Ecclesfield. There is also a Sarah Rodger, father John, baptised 23 April 1784. The family lived at Thompson Hill (High Green).
Assuming they lived I guess any one of the three could have been the 1802 bride.

As has been mentioned Sarah's marriage was to a John Ellott (with no 'i'). The John Ellott, father Joshua, baptised at Ecclesfield was on 12 August 1781.

There is also a John Ellott baptised at St. Peter & Paul in Sheffield on 12 March 1779, parents Hannah and John (occupation: razorsmith). He may be one of the 60 year old John Elliott's Elaine found in the 1841 census.

As I said, not sure if this helps or confuses!
Steve

The Rodger family were High Green & Thomson Hill etc. They had large families who tended to use the same names over the years so took some sorting out at times. I did this the old way going through the original registers. I looked at burial registers too and sorted families into groups.
However to get back to the root problem it is the tree on Ancestry that takes Sarah away from the Ecclesfield area and marrying the chap from Barnard castle/Durham way. Not impossible I know but it does not feel right.
I am not going to bother researching it for her because in the past when I know something is totally wrong in a tree and I have pointed it out to them, they still persist in leaving it as they have it; even if I have the certs etc and they don't.
Times passing far to fast at my age.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Lyn
PS Elaine I descend from Francis and it was his 2nd wife who was mauled and killed by the bear kept for bear baiting.