Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1911 lookup for great grandad please

Hi, I was always told great grandad was from Tipperary but could never find anything other than Ireland as a place of birth so I benched this part of my research a long time ago. A cousin of mine is planning a trip to Ireland to see if he can visit the area he may have come from so I am trying to find more information to help him. My ancestry and findmypart subscriptions have long since expired so I wondered if someone would mind checking the 1911 census for me to see if it says anything more than just Ireland as his place of birth.
His name is Thomas Michael Kelly born around 1856/1860 occupation stone mason. Wife Annie born 1864/65. Son James might be with them too, born 1895. The family have always been in Sheffield, I have a lot more info on them but nothing to verify where In Ireland he is from.

Re: 1911 lookup for great grandad please

Hello Claire
I have emailed you a copy of a page from the 1911 Census that I think refers to your Thomas but his name and details are crossed out
Christine

Many thanks Christine, I think he was in the workhouse at some point so maybe it was at that time. Unfortunately it doesn’t even say he is from Ireland on the census but it is definitely the right family. Back to the drawing board - many thanks again.

Hi Claire, What was Annie's maiden name? Acaster or Phillips

Hi Barry, Annie’s maiden name was Riley but she sometimes used Acaster which was her siblings surname. Her Christian name was Norah Ann but tended to use Annie, but was Honora on her death certificate.
Thank you for the christening info on their daughter Margaret, I didn’t have that.
Thomas Michaels father was Samuel (deceased) on their marriage certificate but I can’t find any other reference to him. His mum I believe was Mary as she was head of the family on the 1891 but then I lose her. I can’t pin down a death. She also just shows place of birth as being Ireland. Thank you for your interest.

Hi Claire,

On the 1911 census at ct1 4h Hollis Croft, Sheffield, there is a Mary Kelly, head, widow, aged 66yrs (1845). Her place of birth is given as Co. Galway, Kileraran, Ireland.
With her are one visitor and two boarders.

There is a death registration Q2 1924, Sheffield, for a Mary Kelly aged 78yrs.
On this site is the burial of the above Mary Kelly, her age is 79yrs (1845), but the
address at time of death is Hollis Croft.

Not sure if this is your Mary, but it is a close match.

Moira.

Hi Moira,
That’s a very interesting find, many thanks. I will look into this more. Thank you again.

Hi Moira,
The age fits with the Mary on the 1891, so could well be the right one. Would you be able to send me a copy of the census or give me the details of the other people at the address, just in case they fit with anything else I have. Many thanks.

Hi Claire,

I have sent you an e-mail.

Moira.

Hi Moira,
Thank you so much, it’s very much appreciated.