Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William George Frith Bradshaw born in Sheffield on November 22, 1819

I haven't been able to confirm the parents of my great, great-grandfather, William George Frith Bradshaw, born in Sheffield on November 22, 1819 (this date is on a handwritten family tree dating back to the 1900s which my late grandmother passed on to me several years ago) on any records on Ancestry.com or other genealogy websites. I have checked Baptismal lists and other birth records but have not be able to confirm his birth or parents. I assume that the Frith in his name must be his mother's maiden name but I could wrong.

There are records of James Bradshaw marrying Mary Frith on August 5, 1805 at the Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul in Sheffield. This may be William George Frith Bradshaw's parents but I cannot find any records that can confirm that. James and Mary may be the parents of the following children all of whom were christened at the Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul in Sheffield:

John Bradshaw Birth 5 May 1806
Christened 25 May 1806

William Bradshaw Birth 29 Aug 1808
Christened 25 September 1808 (not 'my' William)

Phineas Bradshaw Birth 4 February 1812
Christened 8 March 1812

James Bradshaw Christened 24 March 1816

William Bradshaw originally enlisted as a Private in the 82nd Regiment of Foot (the Prince of Wales Volunteers) in Sheffield on 25 October 1839 when he was 19 years 11 months old. He was 5' 7" tall and he was paid a bounty of £3. Sometime around April 1842 he volunteered for the 91st Argyllshire Reserve Regiment of Foot which was bound for the Eastern Cape in South Africa, and slowly rose through the ranks eventually becoming a Quartermaster Sergeant before being honourably discharged on March 31, 1850 with a £5 'golden handshake'.

He married the daughter of another soldier in the 91st, Margaret O'Donnell, in Grahamstown in 1849, and when he left the army they chose to stay in South Africa which is why I was born in Southern Africa. William died in Queenstown, South Africa on October 29, 1902.

I would be grateful to receive any information relating to search.

Re: William George Frith Bradshaw born in Sheffield on November 22, 1819

Hi Christopher, All four of the children are confirmed on family search as being the children of James and Mary. Cannot find William George Firth Bradshaw. There is a William Bradshaw christening on FMP for 1819 but I cannot access it. regards Barry

Hi Christopher

The baptism Barry mentions is:

William Bradshaw, Born 20 Jan 1819, Baptised14 Feb 1819, St Peter & St Paul catherdral Sheffield
Parents: William and Jane.

Williams occupation was a Filesmith.

Denise

Hi Christopher

Dont know if you've seen this already but on Familysearch theres a copy of William George Frith Bradshaws death notice which contains the following:

William George Frith Bradshaw, born Sheffield, England. Died 27 October 1902, at House in Berry Street, Queenstown
Father: George Bradshaw, Mother: - Frith (so no christian name)

Aged 82 - Retired Farmer, married
Wife: Margaret Theresa Bradshaw formerly O'Donnell

Children: Alfred William, James Aidan, Winifred Agnes,Alice Margaret,Vincent Edward Patrick,William Alphonsus,Leo Gregory.

Denise

Hi Christopher,

There is a tree on Ancestry that "might" help.

William George Frith Bradshaw from tree Kerryn Murray Family Tree
Record information.
Birth 22/11/1819 Burton Westmorland England
Residence 1851 Torquay Devon England
Death 29/10/1902 Queenstown Eastern Cape South Africa
Record information.
Spouse Margaret Theresa O'Donnell (1834-1904)

I believe that you are one of the four trees listed there. Your place of birth differs.
Have you been in touch with Kerryn?

Did you post this request too our site before as it does sound familiar?
Our transcription of Sheffield Parish Church ( Cathedral) baptisms does match Sheffield Family History Societies (SFHS) transcription. I am presuming that by the 1841 census William is no longer in Sheffield. Have you found him on that census?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Elaine

Many thanks for this new 'lead' which I will follow up on. By 1851, however, William Bradshaw was in South Africa so could not be in Torquay.

Yes, I was on this site some time ago and you assisted me then. Unfortunately, I still have this block in my research and hoped, with time passing, that new information has become available. Hopefully I will be successful this time!

Thanks again.
Chris Bradshaw