Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elizabeth (Johnston) Wood 1838-1918

Hi,

I'm looking for more information if possible on my great-great-great grandmother Elizabeth (Johnston) Wood (1838-c. 1918), wife of Charles Henry Wood (c. 1837-1913).

The censuses from 1861-1911 say she was born in Sheffield; however the Sheffield and England and Wales censuses of 1841 have an Eliza Johnston, age 2, living in Rotherham. This Eliza Johnston's parents are Ann and Joseph Johnson, recorded on the E&W census as both being born in Yorkshire. However, the Familysearch entry for Elizabeth Wood's unnamed mother suggests that she was actually born in Germany. This is based on correspondence with another descendant, and this seems to be the case based on a high number of German paternal X-DNA matches on my behalf, often with origins from the regions of Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Pomerania).

Nevertheless, I am unable to find anything beyond this.

Can anybody please help me?

Thanks,
Sinead

Re: Elizabeth (Johnston) Wood 1838-1918

Hi Sinead, Could you tell me when and where they married? regards Barry

Barry,

I have no idea when they married. I've not seen a record of what could be their marriage and I've searched the whole of England on Familysearch.

All I know is that their first child was born in or around 1858, meaning they most likely married around 1856-1857.

Hi

I am having trouble finding the Wood family. Where were they living on the census you found?

Also to help with the search, what is the name and place of birth of the first born child?

Sue

Hi Sinead

I'm also strugglingto find anything at all. If you could give us all the information you know that would really help.

Eg as Sue mentions - Where they were living in the census and the name and place of birth of the first born child.
Also the birthplace of Charles Henry and his occupation on the census, and the place of their deaths.

Thanks

Denise

Hi Sinead, How sure are you about Elizabeth's maiden name? I have found them in 1861 census with children Horatio and Wilmot and both of them their mothers maiden name is Rowbotham. There is a marriage in Sheffield 1st Q 1858 of Elizabeth Rowbotham and Henry Wood. Regards Barry

Sue and Denise- Henry and Elizabeth Wood's first child was also called Henry.

Barry- thank you for the Rowbotham suggestion, I shall try searching for that. I believe Horatio died at an early age.

Searching for Elizabeth Rowbotham, born 1838 in or around Sheffield, brings up one likely result.

The 1851 census lists her mother as Fanny Rowbotham, age 37, born in London. This does not rule out German origin on her behalf and in fact makes it even likelier than in Sheffield given she was born in what was already becoming a "melting pot". On the 1841 census no birthplace is given.

Hi Sinead

Unfortunately, as you'll know there are a lot of Henry Woods born around 1858, and without a birthplace to narrow down the search its tricky.

So I think we need to go back to the census records - you mention you have Elizabeth and Charles Henry (and presumably Henry) on the 1861-1911 census (where her bithplace is gven as Sheffield).

As we're struggling to find what you have, could you tell us where they were living on those Census and where Charles birthplace is given as.

If we can find what you are referring to we can start to work out and back to help.

Denise

Marriage at St George's Church, Sheffield, 10 March 1858.
Henry Wood, 21, Bat, File cutter, St Thomas St, father - Charles Wood, spring knife cutler.
Elizabeth Rowbotham, 19, Spin, Rockingham St, father - George Rowbotham, grinder.
Witnesses: Samuel Singleton and Sarah Twigg.

In 1841, Elizabeth is with her parents George and Fanny living at Jericho Street.
From 1861 to 1901, Henry and Elizabeth are living on Broad Lane, Sheffield.

Moira.

Hi

To help with the search

In 1871, living at 106 Broad Lane, Sheffield

Henry Wood 34 (transcribed Heny on Ancestry) file cutter
Elizabeth Wood 33
Heny Wood 12
Elizabeth Wood 10
Emma Wood 8
Wilmot Wood 3
Harotio Wood 1
All born Sheffield

I think this is the family Sinead is searching.

I have traced the family so far up to 1901 -still living on Broad Lane.

From the GRO index, all children have the maiden name Rowbotham-except first born Henry. I couldn't find a suitable birth registration for him. Any ideas?

Sue

Hi

Henry is registered as Harry.

1859 1st Quarter, Sheffield. 9c 263.

Anne

Hi

Elizabeth Wood died in 1906 not 1918.
From Sheffield Daily Telegraph 2 Oct 1906
" WOOD-On Oct 1, at 79 Broad Lane, Elizabeth, widow of Henry Wood, in her 70th year."

The Wood family were living at 79 Broad Lane in 1901.

Thanks Sue.

However, the only burial record I can find matching her (born around 1838 with a husband called Charles Henry Wood) is dated 1918.

Hi Sinead

I am not sure that is the correct burial. I haven't found another suitable one yet though. Why do you think Henry Wood was Charles Henry Wood? There is no evidence for this. He marries as Henry and is Henry in every census.

Sue

Sue,

I have seen him listed as Charles Henry Wood on at least one record. However if this is not the case, I stand corrected.

Hi Sinead

If Elizabeth and Charles(?) Henry are your 3x Great Grandparents which of their children are you descended from ? And how did you work back to Elizabeth Johnston and Charles Henry Wood?

I'm just thinking if we come forward to go back (if that makes sense) it will help to validate the new info Barry, Moira and Sue have found for Elizabeth Rowbotham and Henry Wood, if you're not sure of the detail for Elizabeth and Charles Henry you have so far.

Denise

Re the address 79 Broad lane...

In the burials on this site there are...

RICHARDSON, Henry (Cab Driver, age 52).
Died at 79 Broad Lane; Buried on February 2, 1909 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 49, Section E6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, Ernest V Everard.

RICHARDSON, Hy (son of Hy Richardson, age 1).
Died at 79 Broad Lane; Buried on January 30, 1882 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 49, Section E6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield

Buried in the same grave:

WOOD, Harry (Warehouseman, age 56).
Died at 41 Henry S; Buried on December 21, 1915 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 49, Section E6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister J G Speakman, Removed from Sheffield Parish.

[two other burials in the grave]

Hugh

Hi Sinead, There is a christening on this site for Elizabeth Rowbotham 4 August 1839 parents George and Frances (Fanny). Found a Marriage possible for George Robottom and Frances Pellet 1833 St Marylebone, London. George Rowbotham christening 2 March 1800 parents James and Elizabeth possibly Hallam. A marriage found for James Nowbotham? to Elizabeth Hallam 21 December 1894 St Peter Sheffield. regards Barry

Following on from Hugh's entry re the Richardson burials, on the 1 Aug 1880,
Elizabeth Wood, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth, married Henry Richardson at Walkley.
Elizabeth gives her fathers name as Henry Benjamin Wood, file cutter.

Under the burials in the left hand column there is one for Eizabeth Wood, widow,age 69,
died at 79 Broad Lane, buried 4 Oct 1906 at Burngreave Cemetery.
(Note the second letter 'L' is missing from Elizabeth's name).
Also in the same grave is Henry Benjamin Wood, file cutter, died at 79 Broad Lane,
aged 69yrs.
Percy Wood aged 5, buried in 1877.
Florence Wood, aged 4, buried 1879.
Wilmot Wood, aged 14, buried 1881.

Moira.

Henry Benjamin Wood, son of Charles and Charlotte, born 16 July 1836, bap 25 Dec 1836
at Sheffield Parish Church.

1851 census, 5 Rockingham Street, Sheffield.
Charles Wood, head, 41, Cutler, born Sheffield.
Charlotte Wood, wife, 38, born Guernsey, France.
Henry Wood, son, 14.
Siblings: Emma 12, Charlie 8, Frank 4 and Geo. Willey 1. (Children all born Sheffield).

In 1841 there is also son Tom aged 8.

Moira.

Hello Sinead et al,

Going back to Sinead's original letter and the birth and death dates he gives for Elizabeth and Charles Henry. There are two deaths recorded on this site for:

Charles Wood (Cutlery Manufacturer) buried May 1/1913 age 76.(1837)
died at 120 Myrtle Rd.

Elizabeth Wood widow buried 14 Jan 1918 age 79 (1839)
Died at same address.

Not knowing which source Sinead gleaned his info from, if it was from S.I. then we are probably not much further ahead.

At first I thought this death record was Charles Wood from Charles & Charlotte, the former being a cutler but that Charles was born around 1810.
Still looking for the Johnston connection.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Charlotte Wood of Rockingham Street was buried at Portobello St George 8th Feb 1852 age 40. Her husband Charles was buried at the same church 17 May 1853 age 44 (he died at the infirmary).

Sinead, I have re read your original post. Do you have any evidence for identifying your ggg grandmother as the 2 yr old Elizabeth Johnson you describe on the 1841 census, or is it simply that as you indicated you found a Family search reference to that Elizabeth having a Gerrman mother?
Dave