Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Address

I have found a family of mine on the 1871 census (James Yelland) there address is given as Pass Houses, Brightside Bierlow. I have tried looking for this not sure where to look without a Street or Road name. Any suggestions I have tried Picture Sheffield but it comes up blank

Re: Address

Marlene,
Pass Houses and PassHouses Road were in Pitsmoor. There is a picture on PictureSheffield numbered s18596. Apparently they were named after a man named Pass.
Dave
Edit if you google "pass houses* Sheffield you get lots of relevant answers. The quotation marks are important to cut out all the irrelevant answers

In the 1891 Rate Books, the addresses run:
Firs Hill Road, Pass Houses, Abbeyfield Road, Burngreave Road

This should give you some Idea where it was.

Hi Marlene, I had a possible family link who lived in Pass Houses. If you are old enough to remember The Mojo Club at Pitsmoor Pass Houses were almost across the main road from there. If my memory serves me right they ran at right angles to Pass House Rd on Firshill Close. Take a look at them on Picture Sheffield. Good Hunting Barry Green

oops, sorry about my typo. The google search should be:
"pass houses" sheffield
Dave

Hi again, my memory didn't serve very well I have now found the map which shows them. It his Sheffield (North) 1905 Yorkshire sheet 294.04 if you have a copy the number on the left of page is 491 and at the top is 420 where they cross is Pass Houses off Pass House Lane. Sorry for the confusion its an age thing. regards Barry Green

Thank to you all I now know where to look, there are a lot of areas around Sheffield which are no longer there so old maps are really valuable. I try to pick any Sheffield maps up whenever I can