Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Hall Married Hannah Sanderson 6/9/1835

Hello. i have located a record for this marriage - Rotherham Parish Church. I havent been able to locate a registration reference to be able to order the certificate. George is my 3rd Great Grandfather and I'm interested in finding his parents name and baptism records. thank you. Luan.

Re: George Hall Married Hannah Sanderson 6/9/1835

Luan,

No mention of Georges parents on church register.No civil certificates before 1837.

Barry C.

Hi Luan, Do you have any more information about him? age census, could he have been born in Wadsley or Ecclesfield? There is a birth of a Mary Hall Wadsley 1838. regards Barry

Hi Luan

Civil registration began as a result of the 1836 Births and Deaths Registration Act together with the 1836 Marriage Act.This became law on the 1st July 1837.

Before civil registration you need to access the parish registers for the area you are researching. Sheffield registers are available at the archives and are also available on Findmypast, although not all the registers are on there yet.

Before 1837 father's names were not given on a marriage certificate, but that is not to say the father was not a witness...you still need to access these records to find clues to the couple.

Angela

Hi Luan

The marriage took place on the 6 Sept 1835 at Rotherham All Saints now the Minster.
George Hall signed his name and Hannah made her mark X

There is only 1 witness Charles Watson

The certificate is available to download on Findmypast and the records are free until tomorrow lunchtime to commemorate Armistice.

Angela

Thank you for all the replies !

Regards

Luan