Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CLARA JANE BUXTON

Clara Jane Buxton was born in 1849 in Haxey Lincolnshire. I have had a search Done By the G.R.O. in Southport and also had a search done Lincolnshire birth registry both With on Birth record found for Clara. in 1851 she and her family are named as Benston living Trafalgar Street in Ecclesall with her father John Buxton and her step mother Elizabeth Bell Nee Wheatcroft. In 1861 she is living Middle Heeley with her step mother and step sister Maria. I have not found the 1871 census for Clara However I have found a marriage for A Clara jane Buxton to James Bell 18 - 05 - 1869 in Carlisle
But in the 1881 census Clara's birth place is given has Carlisle and the 1891 census gives her place of birth is given as Sheffield.Have I got the wrong Clara Jane Or could both the birth place's in the 1881 - 1891 census be wrong> I have not found a death record for Clara.
In the 1851 1861 and marriage certificate Her fathers name is John Buxton Tailor by trade
my very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft

Re: CLARA JANE BUXTON

Hi Fred

When we looked at this on your earlier thread regarding Clara Jane Buxton, I'd found an 1871 census entry for:

Clara Jane Bell, aged 22 (born abt 1849), Bithplace Sheffield
Living at 70 Trinity Buildings, St Marys, Carlisle.

She was living with the Bell family and was down as the 'Daughter' of William and Jannet Bell. But her status was given as 'married'. So I suspect that it should have said 'Daugher in Law' (as in wife of thier son James Bell?). As there is also William Bell aged 1, which would seem to be the son of Clara and James on the 1881 census. (also they had a daughter 'Janet' on the 1881 census so 'William and Janet' would seem to be named after William and Jannet Bell, James parents (?) on this 1871 census. James inst mentioned on the 1871 census but he could have been working elsewhere, leaving Clara Jane and baby William with his parents?).
The details for the 1871 census are :RG10, Piece no. 5222, Folio 108, page 19.

As for the 1881 census saying Clara was born in Carlisle - it did happen a lot that the enumerator got it wrong (because thats what they were told or they just assumed and copied down from other family members). But its back to Sheffield in 1891 so I would say ita all one and the same Clara Jane!

Regarding Clara Janes birthplace as Sheffield. My theory previously was that - Clara Jane grew up in Sheffield and that was all she would have know, so she could quite likely have given Sheffield as her place of birth. On the 1851 and 1861 census wher her birthplace is given correctly as Haxey/Westwood, as she was a child this information would obviously have been given by her father/stepmother.

So I think you have the right Clara Jane!!

Denise

Hi Fred et al,
The following may or may not be relevant in finding a death for Clara Jane.
A marriage for Clara Jane Bell in 1902 Jun Q. Carlisle to Thomas Ryan and a death in Carlisle for Clara J. Ryan in 1923 age 75 (B:1848).

FYI: in 1901 Clara J. Bell(Head) was recorded without marital status- at Caldewgate.Carlisle-age 51 Occupation: Monthly Nurse, With her are three daughters Janet, Mabel and Ethel. THERE IS NO JAMES living with them
FYI: in 1901 James Bell (Head) age 57 Occupation: Joiner living with his sister Jane and brother Robert at Cockermouth, parish of Papcastle.
I have found two possible deaths for James Bell in Cockermouth
1)1919 Jun Q.age 76 (B1843)?
2)1908 March Q. age 62 (B1846)?

The above records can be found on Family Search and Free BMD

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi

Just picking up on Wendys find of the 1901 census:

Clara Jane Bell, aged 51, Monthly Nurse, living with daughters Janet, Mabel and Ethel at Caldewgate, Carlisle. Clara Janes marital status is recorded as 'widow' (on the original census record), Birthplace - Sheffield.

On the 1911 census for Clara Jane Ryan, shes aged 61, marital status 'Married', living on Private means, but living only with daughter Ethel Bell (aged 26), there is no Thomas Ryan. Clara Janes birthplace is given as 'Derbyshire,Doncaster' (just to add to the mystery) .

But, both Clara Jane and Thomas Ryan appear together on the Electoral Registers for 1920 - 1922.

Denise

Hi Denise & Fred,

Further info on Clara Jane & Thomas Ryan.
When Clara Jane Bell married Thomas Ryan in 1902,June Q., he was very recently widowed. His first wife, Jane D:March Q.1902 at Carlisle. On the 1901 census Thomas & Jane had 9 children.

When we see that Thomas is not with his second wife, Clara Jane, on the 1911 census, it is because he is with his three youngest children in Carlisle, St.Mary's
Thomas Ryan (Head) age 66 Retired Piano Dealer (married)
Thomas Ryan (son) age 23
Florence Ryan (daughter) 19
Kate Ryan (daughter) 17
Conclusion: the fact that Denise found Clara Jane & Thomas still together in 1922, my thoughts tend toward Thomas having two residences, at least in 1911.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: