Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Pearson

According to census info he was born around 1816-1818 High Lane Eckington. When he married Margaret Morton on 10th Aug 1840 he lived in Hackenthorpe and was a sickle maker and gave his father's name as JOSEPH, also a sickle maker.

I can only find one baptism in Eckington for a William Pearson born 4th June 1817 but his father was WILLIAM.

Can anyone find another baptism with father Joseph as I have come to a brickwall.....

Jenny

Just noticed a tree on Ancestry but I don't have a subscription any more. Could someone possibly take a look for me please.

Many thanks

Re: William Pearson

Hi Jenny

The Ancestry tree has the following:

Birth: 10 May 1818, High Lane Eckington
Baptism:23 Aug 1818, Derbyshire

Father: George Pearson
Mother: Ann

Spouse: Margaret Morton, married 1840 (the tree owner doesnt have a source for this marriage so wont know the marriage cert had Joseph as the father?)

Children:
Charlotte B 1842 Hackenthorpe
Freder B 1847 Hackenthorpe
Thersey B 1847 Hackenthorpe
John B 1949 Hackenthorpe
Ann B 1853 Hackenthorpe
William B 1856 Hackenthorpe
Henry B 1858 Hackenthorpe

The source for the baptism of William Pearson (1818) is a baptism record for Chinley, Chapel, Derbyshire
William - 2nd child and 2nd son for George and Ann Pearson,
Address: Bennets Barn
Fathers Occupation: Weaver
The birth date is partly cut off but you can see - '818, ly 10', so looks like 1818 July 10 to me (as opposed to May 10).

They have the right census records attached to the tree and the right children (?)

Denise

Hi Denise

thank you so much for looking at the family tree for me. I'm not convinced they have the correct parents as the wedding cert definitely states Joseph as father who is also a sickle maker which makes more sense.

I have found several baptisms around the same time in Eckington with parents Joseph and Charlotte (no William though) and just the one for William with father William, mother Charlotte. Now I'm wondering if there was a mistake by the vicar who wrote down the wrong father's name????

Don't know how to proceed now!

thanks again

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Yes I think the Ancestry Tree is incorrect.

If Joseph is the name on the marriage cert then I'd go back to the 1841 census for Joseph Pearson. At the time of the marriage William was living in Hackenthorpe, so assume he was living at home with his parents before marriage (??)

1841 census for Derbyshire shows:

Joseph Pearson born abt 1796 in Derbyshire, Occupation Sickle Maker
Ann Pearson (wife) born abt 1796 in Derbyshire
Ann Pearson (daughter) born abt 1828 in Derbyshire

Living at Hackenthorpe, Beighton.

So that looks promising based on the info from the marriage cert.

1851 census shows:
Joseph Pearson born abt 1794 in Sothall Derbyshire (but Sothall is an area in Beighton), Occupation Wood Turner
Ann Pearson (wife) born abt 1791 in Wortley, Yorkshire (incorrectly transcribed as Merthyr, Yorkshire!!)
Still living at Hackenthorpe, Beighton.

Maybe find the marriage for Joseph Pearson and Ann, then look for other children (or the baptism of Ann around 1828) and any baptisms? .

Edit:
I've found a baptism in Eckington for :
Ann Pearson, Born 19 Nov 1827, baptised 23 Dec 1827
Father: Joseph Pearson , Sickle Maker
Mother: Charlotte
Address - High Lane Eckington

Maybe Charlotte was 'Charlotte Ann' but used the name 'Ann'?? So I'd still check out the marriage for Joseph and Ann or Charlotte?

further edit:

I've finally found the baptism image for the one you found:

Wm Pearson, Born 4 Jun 1817, baptism 29 Jun 1817 = in Eckington
Father: Wm, occupation Sickle Smith (or Maker?)
Mother: Charlotte
Address: High Lane

Looking at the full record, the minister had another 'William' in the baptism before, so I think you're right and that the Minister wrote Wm for the father instead of Joseph (we know it happens!).

I can mail you the copies if you want them?

Denise

Hi Jenny & Denise,
I think Denise is on the right track but would further suggest the following POSSIBILITIES: Ref: Family Search website

JOSEPH PEARSON bapt:9/March/1794 ASTON,York father William
Married: 13/Feb/1816 Rotherham District
CHARLOTTE SWIFT- Bapt:27/Aug/1797 Eckington. Parents: William & Ann.
Records of their children on Fam.Search only show children from 1822-1827 (apart from the Wm & Charlotte one in 1817)all born at Mosboro' Moor in the Eckington Parish.
George Bapt: 1822, Mark bapt: 1825, Ann bapt 1827 (the latter being the Ann shown on the 1841 census at Hackenthorpe.
CHARLOTTE PEARSON died 1831 age 33
JOSEPH remarried ANN HICKSON (or JACKSON) 20th July,1835 in Eckington Parish.
JOSEPH PEARSON died 24 March 1867 age 72/73 buried at Beighton Cemetery.
ANN PEARSON died 21st Dec/18... (poss.1870??)age 73
both in same grave.

WILLIAM PEARSON who married MARGARET MORTON were living at Moor Hole, Eckington in 1841
WILLIAM PEARSON age 20, MARGRETT age 20 and their son, GEORGE MORTON age 1.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Denise/Wendy

I'm so grateful that you've found all that information for me. I was beginning to think I would have to end my research with William.

When I looked on a map to find out where Chinley was (William's baptism place from the tree on Ancestry) it was miles away from Eckington so that ruled it out for me.

I know I can always rely on someone on this site to help so thanks again

Jenny