Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ETON HUSE

Would anyone have any knowledge of Eton House? My great-aunt Frances Mary Rudd took the College of Preceptor examinations in the late 1800s and newspapers said she was from 'Eton House' Sheffield she later became a cooking teacher. Many thanks.

Re: ETON HUSE

Hi

Looking at a number of newspaper articles from the late 1800s, it looks like Eton House was a collegiate school for girls on Wilkinson Street in Sheffield.

Carol

Re: ETON HUSE

I’ve found two advertisements for Eton House in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 30 August 1888 - I've emailed them to you. There were two Eton House schools one for girls and the other for boys; they were both day and boarding schools.

Re: ETON HOUSE

Thank you Carol, that is great information. I don’t suppose it is still there, or are there photos? I am in Australia and can’t travel.Jenny

Hi

I've looked on the Picture Sheffield web site but can't find anything. I'll have a look on Google Maps - I would be surprised, though, if the buildings were still there and I know that there definitely isn't an Eton House school in existence in the city today.

Carol

Actually, it looks the girls school buildings are still there, two large semi-detached bay-windowed Victorian houses; numbers 69 and 71 Wilkinson Street. Take a look on Google Maps

I stand corrected - it looks like the boys school building at 118 Broomspring Lane is also still there - a large detached Victorian villa.

Yes, I found them on Google earth. Thank you so much.

Hi,I googled Eton House and found that it has been an International School since the 1800 founded in Singapore. suggest you have a look on Wickapedia. It may or may not have a Sheffield connection. Regards Barry Green

Thanks for the suggestion Barry.