Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clara Jane Hutton nee woodcock & Alfred Kiddy

Hi
Clara Jane Woodcock 1887-1951 was my g grandma and as a family we know very little about her . I’m hoping someone can help me gather some more information on her and her family. I know she married John Hutton in 1907 , I have traced them living on Alison Crescent for the majority of their marriage , in the 1930’s they separated and I have found Clara living with Alfred Kiddy on peacock row. I have a photo of her sister but none of her . She was buried in a family grave at city rd & her address given as Alison Crescent , we know that she wasn’t living there & think that , that address was given because my granddad was next of kin . We know that my granddad or his siblings never saw her again after she left the family home in the mid 1930’s. If there’s anyone that has anything on the Woodcock / Hutton’s / Kiddy families id be most grateful.

Thanks

Nikki

Re: Clara Jane Hutton nee woodcock & Alfred Kiddy

Hi Nikki,

What was the christian name of Clara's sister?
Also, do you have the marriage certificate between Clara and John Hutton, if
so, where did the marriage take place please.

Moira.

Hi Moira ,
I’m sorry Clara’s maiden name was Haynes not Woodcock ! And the photo I have of her sister is Daisy . Clara & John we’re married in the parish church Shirebrook 1907 .
Woodcock was my other grandma !
Clara Jane Haynes

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for that, I wondered why I could not find a Hutton/Woodcock marriage.
Hopefully I can get on the right track now.

Moira.

Moira, my other g grandma is Ellen Woodcock daughter of William Henry Woodcock and Fanny Pollard . Are they linked to your tree ?

Instant Messenger: Nikki king

Hi Nikki,

No, I am not related to your Woodcock line. We just like to try and help people
with their family history problems.

Moira.

Alfred Kiddy's wife Gertrude nee Savage died Q3 1935. Presumably he and Clara got together after that.
Alfred died a few months after Clara J Hutton in 1952, age 70..
Dave

Oh I see ! Thankyou anyway

Nikki

Thanks Dave , it’s a story that was never spoken of. I know they were living together and assumed that Alfred had died first , with her death being registered at the family home .

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I am not sure if you already have this 1939 entry but will send just in case, as it
is the address given at the time of her burial.

55 Desmond Crescent, Sheffield.
John Hutton, born 11 Sep 1887, unemployed general labourer, married.
Sidney Hutton, born 28 Jan 1919, bran turner, single.
Next two entries closed.
Arthur Haynes, born 5 May 1864, old age pension, married.
Mary Haynes, born 2 Dec 1868, old age pension, married.

Moira.

Nikita, I am confused. The burial of Clara Jane Hutton is on this site I over to the left. That record says she died at Desmond Crescent, not Allison Street as you said. Do you have the Death certificate? If you do not have it then it would be worth buying as PDF from GRO. It will give a definitive answer as to where she died and who registered the death.
Dave

Hi Nikki,

1911 census, 9 Wales Bar, Wales, Sheffield.
Alfred Kiddy, 30, coal miner hewer, born Attercliffe (Sheffield).
Gertrude Kiddy, wife, 30, born Sheffield.
Children: Charles Alfred 5, William Henry 2 and Ethel 2 months.

So if Gertrude did not die until 1935, Clara could only have been with Alfred
from that date onwards.

I can't find Clara on the 1911 census, so where was she?

Moira.

Nikki,

Forget the last line on my last entry, I know she was in Shirebrook in 1911,
getting confused with my dates.

Moira.

Nikki, John Hutton died in 1943 (see burial over to the left).
There are other Huttons in the same grave. It looks like son Sydney lost a child (Sydney) and in 1950 his first wife Nellie(actually Alice nee Lavender) and he remarried in 1950.
Dave
Ps sorry about calling you Nikita, predictive text is very annoying

You’re right Dave , I got it mixed up when I was writing it ! I have all of those details thanks

Hi Moira ,
They were living at 92 Prospect street shirebrook with Clara’s brother . They were lodging with their only surviving child George at that time .
Nikki

Hi Dave , yes all that is correct apart from the fact that Alice my granddads 1st wife is registered as Nellie on the grave ? Nellie was his 2nd wife ( my nana) and Alice has never been known as Nellie anywhere. Alices remaining son is still alive and I asked him if he’d ever heard of him mum being called Nellie ?

My granddad Sydney registered her death, but I know from talking to gr aunts that , once she’d left the family home , they never saw her again. I assumed it was because he was next of kin because I don’t think that John & Clara got divorced.
Thanks Nikki

Hi Moira,
I do , Thankyou anyway

Nikki

Hi Nikki
There are 13 Kiddy's Buried in tinsley Park Cemetery.
One is Alfred aged 19 months address given as 8 peacock Row. When I was a teenager I used to go to a shop on March Steet, Attercliffe with my friend to do her grandmothers shopping. the owner of the shop was a Mrs. Kiddy. One of the burials is a Clara Kiddy, wife of George from 45, Ranskill Road, Which was in the same area as Peacock Row. Hope this is of some help to you and does not muddy the water even more
good luck
Muriel

Hi Muriel ,
Any info is good thankyou. I put it out there hoping someone may know of the family and could maybe fill in the blanks of my gr grandma ‘s last 20yrs . A photo would be the best but I don’t think that’s going to happen .... although you never know ! My gr aunt passed away a few years ago and we all tried pressing her for information on her mum throughout the years but she was a subject that she just wouldn’t talk about . All she would say is “ she left when I was in hospital “ . We only found out this year that she was living with Alfred Kiddy !