Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stefanski - Polish family

Hi everyone,
I am looking for any information about my family roots. My grandmother's (Bronislawa) brother served in the army and settled in Sheffield after the war. I don't have much information. I know his name: Piotr (Peter) Stefanski and his wife Krystyna Stefanska. I found adress and number (http://www.phoneebook.co.uk/person.aspx?p=13572012&n=Stefanski%20Peter%20Krystyna) but phone number doesn't exist anymore.

I will be very greatful for any info.

Lukas

Re: Stefanski - Polish family

Hi Lukas

I've found a death for Piotr Stefanski, born 12 Apr 1919, died in Sheffield in 2002. I've then found Krystyna, still living at the address you found up until 2007 - but nothing so far after that.

Without knowing Krystynas maiden name this is a bit of a guess, but I've found several births for Stefanski, with the mothers maiden name of 'Matuszewski'?

Barbara Stefanski - 1949
Danuta Stefanski - 1951
Richard Stefanski - 1953

It might be worth you also posting on Sheffield Forum

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forum/5-sheffield-history-amp-expats/ to help with your search for living relatives

Edit: Piotr became a nautralised citizen in 1975

Denise

Hi Lucas,

Just to add to Denise's information.

I wonder if St Maries RC Church on Norfolk Row would be able to help?

They used to have a Polish Mass there in the very early 1960's.

There also used to be a Polish Catholic Center on Ecclesall Road, Sheffield.11.
Growing up just after the war we also had Polish Refugees living in our street.

Elaine in Ottawa.

His death registration.

Name: Piotr Stefanski
Death Age: 83
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1919
Registration Date: May 2002
Registration district: Sheffield
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Register Number: H78A
District and Subdistrict: 0481H
Entry Number: 292

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you very much Denise and Elaine in Ottawa.

I checked those information and put together with this what I've got from my family in Poland and everything seems to match.

Unfortunately don't know Krystyna's maiden name, but I ask my mother (Piotr was her uncle) and she said that Krystyna and Piort got 3 kids. Also birth year seems to be correct to him.

I will post on Sheffield Forum as Danise said (good idea)and I will try to contact with St Maries RC Church as Elaine in Ottawa said.

Big thanks for Peters death registration - important information.

One more time - Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Poland
Lukas

Hi Lukas

I've seen your post on Sheffield Forum - so hopefully you'll get some replies. Also it might be worth searching in the Expats section as I know theres a couple of threads on the Polish Club in Sheffield (you never know...).

I've also found this on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/PhdSheffield/

Theres a Polish Heritage Day each year. This years was in May - but I think on the day they do have a 'trace your Polish Heritage' bit. It might just be worth contacting either of the 2 organisers/Team members to see if they can help with your search?

I cant find any other information on the 3 Stefanski children I found, but will keep looking for you.

Denise

Lukas,
According to FreeBMD a Danuta Stefanska married Philip Freeman in Sheffield in Q2 1971.
The same source indicates they had one child born in 1972.
Dave
Edit Thesame source gives a marriage for Richard R Stefanski to Marie Bramhall in Sheffield in Q3 1975 and they had one child in 1976.
Edit AGAIN IN Q2 1973 IN Sheffield Bozena V A Stefanska married Dennis Gavin. I wonder if Bozena was born as Barbara and decided to have a polish name?