Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton Cemetery

Both my grandfather and my great grandfather were buried in Norton Cemetery. Although they died 20 years apart they are both shown as being in the same grave in the same section. I understand that they do not have a grave marker. Does anyone know anything about this cemetery and what system they used when burying family members despite there being no markers?

Re: Norton Cemetery

There is a plan of the cemetery over to the left under burials then maps. The usual way to find a plot is to note nearby memorial stones then look up the grave numbers for them. Then you can work out where your unmarked one is.
Dave

Hi,
Dave is correct. I have several members of my Norton, Aspinall, Goodison family buried in Norton Cemetery Derbyshire Lane. There's a map on here which concurs with a map on the gates of the cemetery, well it was before I left Sheffield.
Be prepared to spend a long time finding a grave number which usually is on the bottom edge of the headstone, some are under the surrounding growth but, not many are visible.
Once you find a number you have to count along the relevant row to determine the grave which you're looking for but, they don't all bear headstones.

Good luck.

Marlene C.

Good afternoon,
After reading your post re Goodison family, I wonder if this is the Goodison family I am researching?

Sarah Goodison

It is easier said then done finding the right plot etc. If you post the section number and the plot number and the names in question I might be able to get up and take a look for you. It might also worth considering that other family members could be also buried nearby. I can not say when I can get though depends on the weather and when Im working. John

Sheffield Archives have plans of most municipal cemeteries showing individual plots. I can't definitely say they have them for Norton but it would save a lot of searching.

Hugh

I have the plots