Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Handsworth Razor Co - Henry Works

Hi Luke

Theres a few pictures of Hendon Street on 'Picture Sheffield'

http://www.picturesheffield.com/index.php

Just type Hendon Street into the search box top right and you'll get 3 pages of images.

Denise

Hi Denise,

Thank you! I’ve had a look at the pictures. I’m wondering if there are any other older ones out there. I have a couple from inside a book about Handsworth that show the old Co Op building which is on the junction of Hendon Street and Hall Road. I find it really difficult to find references to and pictures of this Co Op building compared to others in Sheffield. I’ve also found some pictures from 1926ish on a website called britainfromabove.

Because Hendon Street was previously called Henry Street I wonder if Henry works was based there. I have an old razor that was made at Handsworth Razor Co. (Potentially at Henry Works) and interested to know the location.

Thanks,

Luke.

Luke, are you aware of the court proceedings reported in the London Gazette about this company in 1922 and 1923? The proprietor was Arthur Waddington.
I have checked him out on the Register of Trade Marks of the Cutlers Company 1919 and he and the company are notable by their absence.
Dave

Hi Luke, they were at 61 Eldon Street in 1923.

Heths

Hi Dave,

I did find a couple of article online from the London Gazette that said they went bankrupt but that is all I have been able to find. Are these the articles that you have seen? There doesn't seem to be much information. I'm mainly interested in knowing where the premises were based in Handsworth.

Hi Heths,

Do you know when they moved to Eldon street? Can I ask where you found this out? Just in case it takes me to any other sources. Taking into consideration what Dave has mentioned I imagine they then when bankrupt shortly after this move...

Thanks for the support so far. It really is like piecing a puzzle together!

Luke.

WADDINGTON, Arthur, residing at 23, Harbordroad, Sheffield, and carrying on business at Cre-morne Works, Hermitage-street, and at HenryWorks, Handsworth, all in the city of Sheffield,as the HANDSWORTH RAZOR CO. RAZORMANUFACTURER.Court—SHEFFIELD.No. of Matter—43 of 1921.Amount per £—7d.First or Final, or otherwise—First and Final.When Payable—Oct. 10, 1922.Where Payable—Office of Trustee, John Hancock,57, Surrey-street, Sheffield.

Same description in all 3 London Gazette item 1922 and 1923.

Dave

Great! That is what I have just been looking at Dave. I just wish one of them had an address for Henryworks. Because Handsworth was smaller at the time do you think they would have just used 'Henryworks' instead of listing the street name in which it was located?

Luke.

Hi Luke,

I found their Eldon St address in Kelly’s 1923 directory.

Heths

PS - 1923 Kelly’s also has Arthur Waddington at that 23 Harbord Rd address. In the streets section it lists his occupation simply as “grinder.” In the alphabetical section it says “razor blade grinder” and gives his home address only, it doesn’t link him to Handsworth Razor Co. or the Eldon St address. The listing for Handsworth Razor, both in street section and alphabetical section, doesn’t name any owner or manager.

Heths