Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balm Green and Orchard Lane

Hello I wonder if anyone would know how I could find old photo's of Balm Green or Orchard Lane
My Great grandfather lived at 38 Balm Green and my grandfather lived at 33 Orchard Lane
I have looked on Sheffield Photo's but no luck

Thanks Janet

Re: Balm Green and Orchard Lane

Hi Janet

You mention looking on Sheffield Photos - do you mean the 'Picture Sheffield' website?

http://www.picturesheffield.com

I've found quite a few pictures of Orchard Lane (my relatives lived there also) and Balm Green on there, but I doubt you'll get photos with the exact house on.

Denise

Thanks again Denise, yes I did mean pictures not photo's, I will have another look, I suppose it would be difficult to get the exact house but it would be good to see what the area was like

Janet

Hi Janet

Sometimes you do get lucky and get photos of the exact houses, but both Balm Green and in particular Orchard Lane were quite narrow so not good for being able to get photos 'inside' each street. Most of them are taken looking up or down the length, but you'll get a good enough impression.

I just searched for both Balm Green and Orchard lane and got 10 and 7 pages of images respectively.

I've just made a note of some of the reference numbers for the better images, to help you find them

Balm Green
S13219
Y01403
S00689
S19361
S13220

Orchard Lane:
S18476
S18474
S18470
U00934
S24525
S18384

Denise

Well thank you again Denise that's very kind of you, I look forward to seeing the photo's, I presume they are on Pictures Sheffield

Thank you
Janet

Hi Janet

Yes they are - e.g. From the main Pictures Sheffield' webpage just enter 'Orchard lane' in the search box at the top right and it should bring up 7 pages of various images.

Denise

Hi Denise

Thanks again, I have just found the photo's, what a sad place they look, everyone seems so poor but very interesting to see where my ancestors lived, wish I could find photo's of them

I really appreciate your help

Janet

hello Janet

What are the dates associated with these addresses?

In 1896 the highest even number in Balm Green was 32.

I have downloaded the relevant part of an 1896 insurance map at https://www.oldmapsonline.org and will email it to you. Using this I believe you can pinpoint 35 Orchard Lane on image s18474 at PictureSheffield.

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Thank you very much for the information, that's great, the dates for Orchard Lane are from about 1851 to 1891, I can't find the Balm Green ones at the moment as I have stopped my subscription with Ancestry for a while and it won't let me look at my info
I have just had a bonus, I was looking at my tree and a photo came up of my great grandfather from someones tree in America, I will now have to subscribe again as it won't let me contact that person until I do

Thanks again for your help Hugh
Janet