Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information of stillborn baby's grave or resting place

I have been trying to find what happened to my brothers body after he was stillborn as a full term baby on 11th May 1947(Due To doctors negligence/reluctance to perform a Cesarean section) he was born at the then known as City General Hospital, now known as the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. My mother nearly died too so was in no state to have any idea of what happened and my father didn't seem to know and now they are both dead so I cannot ask any more questions. I have researched the local Archives but cannot find anything I know he may have been put in a communal grave or with another person or even incinerated at the hospital, but I would just like to know which scenario is correct but dont know how to find the answer.

Re: Information of stillborn baby's grave or resting place

A name would be of help Diane.

Terry

Hi Diane

As a relative you can get a copy of the certificate:

Stillbirth registration was introduced on 1 July 1927 to help protect infant life, provide a valuable source of statistical information and to give parents the opportunity to have their child officially acknowledged. A stillborn child is a child born after the 24th week of pregnancy who did not breathe or show any other signs of life. When a child is stillborn the midwife or doctor will issue a medical certificate of stillbirth which will be used to register the stillbirth.
When stillbirth registration was introduced the age limit was the end of the 28th week of pregnancy, not the 24th (as it is now). This is a relatively recent change following the greatly increased survival rates of premature babies.
Current GRO policy on obtaining stillbirth certificates: "Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents' dates of death."
How to order the certificate
To obtain an application form for a stillbirth certificate, you can either telephone or write to the General Register Office.
Telephone
Please call +44 (0) 845 603 7788, Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Saturday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.

Angela

The name on the still-born certificate are just the parents Jack Harold Patchett and Margery Helen Patchett I could send you a photo of it but not sure how on here?

Hi Angela
thanks very much I did all this and have got a copy of the certificate as it was my brother he was a full term baby and the head doctor refused to a Cesarean when complications started with the birth not going well, he overruled the other doctor and my brother died whilst being born, he had to be dragged out of my mother using weights, which seems totally barbaric to me and she nearly died too. I dont think my father was in any position to know what was happening and it was customary to take such babies away as soon as possible due to the state of them

Hi Diane,

Have you tried asking City Road Bereavement Services for help? I can feel the pain you are still suffering after all these years.

They City Rd administer all the Municipally owned Cemeteries in Sheffield and the most likely place for him to be buried. Note I do say buried. There is plot at City Road for such babies.

I hope you find his resting place.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi, i have asked them before and they seemed very helpful but maybe they missed something? I will try them again, thanks very much
Diane