Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BAPTISM OF ELIZABETH HIBBARD ABOUT 1800 - 1807

Elizabeth HIBBARD/HIBBERD [a spinster] married Henry SANDERSON, a widower on 22 May 1831 Sheffield Cathedral.

The Sheffield Independent 28 May 1831 noted "On Sunday, Mr Henry Sanderson, land surveyor, to Miss Elizabeth Hibbard."

In the 1861 census Elizabeth's age is given as 54 indicating a birth around 1807. The 1871 census has her age as 71 indicating a birth around 1800. Both census records record her as being born at Sheffield. The 1851 census indicates a birth around 1803 also at Sheffield.

Hoping for some assistance to locate Elizabeth's parents.

Marie

Re: BAPTISM OF ELIZABETH HIBBARD ABOUT 1800 - 1807

Hi

I can only find one baptism for an Elizabeth Hibberd in the time frame you’ve given.

She was born on 21 May 1807 and was baptised on 14 June 1807 at Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul. Her parents were called Josh and Martha.

There are several possible baptisms, though, using the spelling Hibbard. Even the one I've mentioned above is listed under Hibbard as well but this time the father's name is listed as Joseph.

Carol

Hello Carol,

Thanks so much for your assistance. Is there any indication of Martha's maiden name?

Was there any indication of Josh/Joseph's occupation??

I am hoping to find them in a census.

Many thanks,

Marie

Hi Marie

I have found a Joseph Hibberd marrying Martha Bradshaw on 2nd October 1796 at St Mary’s church, Ecclesfield.

I’ve tried to find them, using both spellings, in the 1841 census but no luck so far. I'm guesstimating that Joseph was born C1771 and Martha C1775; I've searched five years either side of these years.

Found a possible birth for Joseph:

Name:Joseph Hibberd
Baptism Date: 12 May 1773
Baptism Place: Cathedral Saint Peter,Sheffield,York,England
Father: Godfrey Hibberd
FHL Film Number: 919325

Carol

Thank you Carol. It seems you think these are the most viable parents for Elizabeth HIBBARD/HIBBERD.

I tend to agree. The challenge for was the various ages given in the census as to Elizabeth SANDERSON nee HIBBARD's age. At that point in time would Ecclesfield be considered part of Sheffield?

Marie

Hi

I think it's a possible birth, it's the several other recorded births of an Elizabeth in the right time frame but with the surname spelled Hibbard that stop me saying it's definitely this one.

Ecclesfield didn't become a part of the city of Sheffield completely until 1974.

Carol

P.S. I've added a possible birth for Joseph to my previous response

P.P.S. Whoops - just found that the birth I found is wrong as that Joseph died the year he was born

Thanks Carol for your thoughts. Will checkback in a little latr but right now i must go to bed as its 4am here.

Marie

Hi Marie,

Just to add that I looked through Sheffield Parish Church 1796-1809

and like Carol think the baptism for Elizabeth is most likely this one.

Elizabeth Hibberd born 21st May 1807
Baptised 14th June 1807.
Parents Joseph & Martha Hibberd (Fendermaker)

There were very few churches in the Sheffield area at this time. Most events taking place at the Parish Church. Marriages up to 1848 were supposed to take place there.

If you look over to the left where we have an index of the 1841 census for Sheffield and area there is only one Henry Sanderson. He is listed as being 30 which doesnt fit with the marriage of 1796. OR Elizabeths birth in 1807.

Have you looked at Family search for Henry?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Elaine,

I didn't have Elizabeth HIBBARD/HIBBERD's mother as Martha FENDERMAKER but rather 'Joseph Hibberd marrying Martha Bradshaw on 2nd October 1796 at St Mary’s church, Ecclesfield'.

I have located an copy of the marriage register and the rector has recorded Elizabeth's maiden name as HIBBARD. However [I often wonder why there has to be a 'however' as it creates such confusion :)] Elizabeth [and I think it is her signature as its different to every other signature on the record] as HIBBEARD with witnesses as Jonathan PARKIN and Joseph HUDSON. The rector/parish priest was John GIBSON.

The newspaper transcription taken from the Sheffield Independent 28 May 1831I had [unfortunately I don't have a clipping of the original notice] reads ' On Sunday, Mr Henry Sanderson, land surveyor, to Miss Elizabeth Hibbard.'

The question for me is that the parish record notes the marriage occured in the Parish of Sheffield. However [Elizabeth's census record has her being born in Sheffield] Joseph HIBBERD and Martha BRADSHAW married in Eccesfield [although this may well be where Martha BRADSHAW lived and not where the couple settled after marriage.

This is where the census records may assist if they can be located.

If its at all possible and if someone has accesss to the newspaper if the transcription can be checked to confirm the accurate spelling of HIBBARD on the notice for Elizabeth & Henry's marriage.

Lastly when Elizabeth was buried on 11 Jul 1874 her age was recorded as 67 indicating a birth around 1807.

Marie

Hello Carol,

Thanks so much.

Ive posted below re my continued search and verification of knowns.

Marie

I believe Fendermaker is his occupation not her maiden name.

Hi Maria,

Just to clear up the confusion re (Fendermaker) it was Josephs occupation. It is written as I typed it. BUT...... Fender Maker.

There are NO census records for us family history buffs prior to 1841. Thats why I looked at our transcription over to the left. And they are not showing in the Sheffield area.

The 1807 baptism does fit the bill but I still have a niggling doubt about it.

The way the marriage was reported to me would indicate that the family had standing in the community.

I wonder from what you said about Elizabeths signature (Hibberd) that she was a widow.

Maybe if we looked at the census up to her death we would see a better fit.

I have Ancestry and to be honest I can't spot them. Did they live in Sheffield after the marriage? Did she leave a will? Did they have children? Where did Henry Sanderson come from?

I looked at Ecclesfield baptisms for Hibberd/Hibbard and there is NO Joseph having children there in that time period. Thats why I looked at Sheffield Parish Church next.

I also have Bradshaws ancestors that came into Sheffield and they came from Eyam in Derbyshire. A number of Sandersons in Bradfield.

Another issue...... were they non conformists? Yes the marriage would have taken place in a Church of England Church but baptisms at a chapel.

Somewhere at the back of my memory I do believe I remember reading that there was a Fender Manufacturer in or near Ecclesfield. Ecclesfield by the way was a huge parish and came down to Owlerton just past Wadsley Bridge. You will be able to see that on Google Earth Maps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Marie,
Do the following belong to your Henry?

Sheffield Independent, 15 May 1830.
Deaths.....On Thursday, suddenly, Mrs Sanderson, wife of Mr Henry Sanderson,
surveyor, of Doncaster and formerley of this town.

Sheffield Independent, 1 June 1839.
Mr Henry Sanderson, Land Surveyor, having engagements in the neighbourhood
of London, begs to make it known that he has changed residence from Westfield
Terrace, Sheffield to that part of the Kingdom. I will occasionally attend
business in Sheffield. All applications to 12 London St. Greenwich, Kent.

Sheffield Independent, 10 February 1849.
Deaths......On the 2nd inst., at Milton, Peterboro', suddenly,
Mr Henry Sanderson, formerley of Sheffield.

Henry Sanderson son of William, fender maker.
Born 11 Jan 1798, bap 4 Mar 1798, St George, Doncaster.

Moira.

Good find Moira,

Thats why we were having problems.

In our directories...

Sanderson, Henry (, land surveyor).
Address: Pye Bank, in 1833.
Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

I wonder if Henry & Elizabeths fathers knew one another being in the same line of business.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks to someone in Australia on the 'Genealogists Forum'. I found the following.
1841 Henry at Milton Hall (seat of Earl Fitzwilliam) near Peterborough, Northamptonshire.
His wife and younger children are in Stamford Baron, a few miles away.
Of his eight sons only Albert as a baby died in England.
William, Charles and Alexander all worked for Indian Railways and all died in India.
Henry, Edmund and John all migrated to NSW and died there.
James was 'lost from the top mast' date unknown.
Mary Ann, the only daughter of his first marriage died in NZ.

1841 census, Milton Hall.
Henry Sanderson, 40, Surveyor, not born in county.
He is listed with the servants.
(Henry is buried on the Fitzwilliam estate).

1841 Census, Burghley Lane, Borough of Stamford, Parish of St. Martins.
Harriett Smith, 30, Ind.
Elizabeth Sanderson, 36.
Mary Sanderson, 12.
Elizabeth Sanderson, 9.
Charles Sanderson, 8.
John Sanderson, 6.
James Sanderson, 4. All not born in County.

Moira.

Hello Elaine,

Marie here.

I realised after I had posted that post, silly me, I asumed that FENDERMAKER was her maiden name. LoL. When I cast my gaze further I then realised other entries were the Father's occupation. :)

Really Silly really. At least I have made myself chuckle.

I agree re the 1807 baptism and not sure why I am hesitating.

In relation to the marriage and Elizabeth's marital status - I checked the copy of the register and it states she was a spinster. Henry's family lived around Doncaster and his father was from Wigton, Cumberland. Henry was a widower at his second marriage and a father of six children under the age of 12. From what I have gleaned it was Henry that had status as he was a land surveyor and civil engineer and his patron was the Earl FITZWILLIAM.

I located Elizabeth and Henry in the census record and it wasn't easy. Henry died in 1849 leaving Elizabeth with children from both marriages. In the 1841 census Elizabeth and children were at Burghley Lane, Stamford Baron, Northamptonshire - Parish of St Martin and Henry was at Milton Hall.

In the 1851 census Elizabeth, now a widow was at 164 St Peter's Hill, Stamford All Saints, Stamford, Lincolnshire. 1861 she was at 5 Leicester St Sheffield, Yorkshire. By 1871 she was at Sheffield and Rotherham Road, Attercliffe *** Darnall. She died in 1874. I have not located a Will.

In every Census record Elizabeth stated she was born at Sheffield.

Henry wasn't a nonconformist however three of his sisters were.

Regards,

Marie

Hello Moira,

Many thanks.

The first 3 articles relate to my Henry SANDERSON however not the fourth.

Marie

Hello Elaine & Moira,

I am a tad confused by this post and am now concerned I may have inadvertantly missed something.

Henry was a land surveyor and civil engineer whereas the Joseph HIBBARD [who marries Martha BRADSHAW] was Fender Maker.

Marie
Australia

Hi Maria,

I must admit thats been a concern of mine.

"Henry Sanderson son of William, fender maker.
Born 11 Jan 1798, bap 4 Mar 1798, St George, Doncaster."

DO you accept that is your Henry?

"1841 census, Milton Hall.
Henry Sanderson, 40, Surveyor, not born in county.
He is listed with the servants.
(Henry is buried on the Fitzwilliam estate)."

Earl Fitzwilliam owned a huge part of Sheffield. Maybe as a bright boy Henry was sponsored by the Earl.

Who was Henrys first wife? and where is she buried?

Elaine in Ottawa Canada.

PS. Just noticed there is an Extensive Tree on Ancestry.

Hi Marie et al,
To Elaine's question 'who was Henry's 1st wife', if we are talking about the same Henry, I believe it was Mary Ann Ives/Tennyson, who has already been extensively researched on a previous S.I. thread. Remember Brodsworth Hall anyone..??

To another point, of all the children being recorded in an 1841 census, as born out of country, that I suppose could well be, however, Henry Baptized 1821 and Mary Ann Baptized:1829 (both children from Henry's 1st marriage), were both baptized at Brodsworth, nr. Doncaster. ref: Family Search.

There is also a Tree on Family Search for Henry Sanderson B:1798 but it does not show a second marriage for Henry..??
Also on that Tree, there is a marriage for William Sanderson to Mary Jowett (aka Jewitt) on 10 Feb.17...? at St.Sepulchre, London.(supposedly Henry's parents).
As to Elizabeth Sanderson's death, stated as 1874. A similar ref: on Free BMD Reg Dist.Ecclesall Bierlow Sept.Qtr. age 62 this would put her birth as 1812 if correct.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Just to add to Wendy's findings.

Sanderson, Elizabeth (, died on 8 Jul 1874, at the age of 68).
Resided at 108 Fitzwilliam Street and buried on 11 Jul 1874 in ? ground;
Grave Number 4099, Section I4 745 of General Cemetery, Sharrow.

This section was the Anglican Sections. It shows on the maps.
Look at the top of the burials where it says maps & photographs.

Elaine in Ottawa.

If you look at our Baptismal Transcriptions for Sheffield Parish Church.

Over to the left.

Just put in Shef* no first name Sanderson with fathers name of Henry

There are 4 children of Henry with Mary Ann and Elizabeth with 4 also.
Fathers occupations Land Surveyor.

First one William in 1822 through to James in 1836.

William being his first born son probably took the name of his Paternal Grandfather.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,
Don't forget HENRY Baptized 1821 at Brodsworth
and Mary Ann Baptized 1829 at Brodsworth

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: