Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Clarke

Can anybody tell me when searching in the burials section if the name of a person doesn't always come up if they're burried with somebody else?....My dad is certain his grandad (William Clarke) was burried in Darnal cemetery. ..he died at around age 30 I think to TB. This would have to have been around 1930 give or take 5 years....I know he went in a paupers grave and when I search darnal cemetry nobody matching his description comes up...they're either alot older / burried alot earlier etc. He was married to Agnes Helliewell and had a son Terence Clarke. I know when I've found some of my other family I've been shocked to find others located in same grave that i didn't come up with my initial search ..I found them by accident checking the 'find in similar grave'option. Can anybody advise?

Re: William Clarke

Hi Laura,

After many years of helping folks on our site and others, I start this way.

I verify the information given. I check FreeBMD first.

The only William Clarke with an "e" is this chap. I checked 1920-1940 and the only one in the right age group.

Deaths Sep 1927
Clarke William E 28 Ecclesall B. 9c 349

Do you know which part of Sheffield he died? Did he also have a middle initial?
Have you looked at Clark with no "e".

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Laura et al,
There is a William Henry Clarke B:1909 Ref:Free BMD
also Ref: Sheffield Indexers, baptism 1909, with parents Wm.Henry and Lily). Two other siblings also shown.

MARRIED: 1930
Agnes HALLIWELL
Ref: Free BMD
Child: Terence Clarke B:1936
Ref. Free BMD

William Henry (B:1909) possibly died 1942 Sheffield age 33
Ref: Free BMD

The death of Wm.Henry. Clarke snr.(D1936) along with his wife Lily (nee Downs)(D1959 in same grave)can also be found on S.I. website.

Happy Hunting:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Laura et al,

Additional info:

Although Agnes Hallewell married as HALLIWELL
her birth reg: is HALLEWELL parents James Hallewell and Emma Cuthbert.

Agnes born 9 May.1908 died 1988 Sheffield.
Refs. Family Search and Free BMD

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Laura

The William Henry Clarke B1909, d1942 aged 33 found by Wendy is buried in Tinsley Park Cemetery (Tinsley/Darnall), buried 21 Aug 1942 (National Burial Index).

Denise

Hi Laura

Following on from Denise's post - a few extra details which may enable to you to verify if this is the right chap
William Henry CLARKE, occupation collier, death Winter St Hospital,
Also gives 97 Copeland - possible home address?
Grave ref B59gp Tinsley Park Cemetery

Vicki

1939 Register gives William Henry b 19 June 1909 living at 93 Coleford Road
with wife Agnes b 9 May 1908

Vicki

Thanks everyone yes those dates would sound right ...as ever I was looking in the wrong place! I was just searching Darnal. Thank you all so much.

...and yes Vikki that address would be highly likely as they lived in that area of Sheffield. My grandad (Williams son) would have been born around 1937 and I know William died when he was just a child so the information you have found all fits. Thank you

hi Laura
Agnes hellewell is in my tree because she was my uncles sister-in-law most of the information you have already been given. there was anothher child of their marriage;
Audrey born 3rd quarter 1932. i will be going to Sheffield tomorrow to see my sister and she may remember more about them I will have a look at the grave to see whether or not there is a stone on it.i dont know whether you are aware but Winter Street Hospital was the TB. hospital in Sheffield. Agness mother also lived in Coleford road she was the sister of the famous boxer Johnny Cuthbert I think he won the lonsdale belt outright.If there is anything else I can tell you please do not hesitate to ask
muriel

Hi Muriel wow small world! yes my Grandad(Agnes's son terry)had a sister called Audrey...I didn't know about the famous brother :) ...I'm just slowly piecing together a bit of a family tree. Yes please let me know if you find a headstone.

hi laura
as promised my sister and I went to Tinsley Park Cemetery yesterday we looked all around section PB but we could not find where no59 should be. As you are probably aware one relies on being able to see gravestone numbers we found many in the 100's but could not ascertain where 59 should be. i am sure if you ring City Road Bereavement Services they will be able to tell you if there is any one else in the grave.
best of luck
Muriel

Thanks Muriel I will give them a call....i know I went looking for my grandma's son in city road and it was difficult working out between the numbers and headstones missing...we eventually found his plot...it took a team of 3 of us to work it out

Hi guys I seem to have taken a wrong turn tracing my family tree for William Clarke(born 1909)..as one of the above comments found I thought his parents were william Henry clarke and and lily downs(checked baptism records to verify these were his parents)...completely shocked to have come into possession of his birth certificate and his dad is listed as George clarke and his mother sarah shaw. I cannot locate any baptism records on here to verify this and cannot find them on any census on familysearch.org either...would this be because they were possibly not originally from sheffield? I'm new to doing my family tree now thinking of paying for ancestry or find my past...any advice please will be much appreciated

Laura, you need Free BMD And The GRO index( free on line)
From Free BMD George Clarke married Sarah Ann Shaw in Q1 1889 in Sheffield.
From GRO index if you search for births of Clarke with Mother maiden Name Shaw you will find Wiliam and his many brothers and sisters., all born Sheffield between 1889 and 1913
Dave

Hi Laura

Thay are all on the 1911 census on Familysearch living in Darnall (listed as 'Attercliffe' sub district)

Schedule Type: 231
Page Number: 1
Registration Number: RG14
Piece/Folio 461

George was born in Birmingham, Sarah Ann was born in Ripley

Denise

Thank you Dave that will be today's plans...and denise thank you also..I'd gone wrong by refining the search on familysearch.org to not as far as 1911! I'm slowly learning :) it's hard when Clarke is such a common name

Laura, with regard to Ancestry and Find my past. You can sign up on both of them, without paying a subscription. This allows you to search everything and get a short list of answers depending on your search strategy. Doing this you will get many answers that you need and you will get the feel for each site. You can then decide for yourself which if any you want to subscribe to in order to access the original documents.
Dave

Hi Laura et al,
There is a marriage recorded on this excellent website for
WILLIAM HENRY CLARKE
M: Jan, 4th 1930
AGNES HALLIWELL

You will notice the father of the groom is in fact recorded as George Clarke, which further supports your birth certificate.
The marriage I referred to in a previous post for this couple, where I incorrectly linked the parents as Wm.Henry Clarke and Lily Downs (based on a Baptism record also on this site) was obviously incorrect and I apologize for misleading you.

Wm.Henry Clarke and Lily Downs did have a son named Wm. Henry, born Sept Quarter, 1909 BUT in Ecclesall Bierlow. Exactly the same details for your Wm.Henry born to George Clarke & Sarah Ann Shaw, EXCEPT the birth Reg. district was Sheffield.
Laura I am so glad you discovered the real parents and so sorry for my wrong turn.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy it was'nt your fault, I came to the exact same conclusion that it was William Clarke and Lily Downs was his parents, made sense year he was born, baptism records etc.....i've found his real parents really hard to trace to be honest..on index on here i cant find any baptisms for any of their children I still struggled to find them on census....other family trees ive searched ive managed to get as far back as late 1790 just on marriage,census records alone....these Clarke's have been hard for me to find....I appreciate everybodys help. Thanks again Wendy.

Me again guys I'm sorry...absolutely thrilled to have traced back to 1800 on familysearch.org ....I have even found pictures of these ancestors attached to the census records with ready done family tree's....can anyone tell me why these are on there including photos? I've gone back on so many family lines and never found such detailed information as this