Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The census 100 year rule and the 1939 Register

Hi

I have a question about the release of census returns. Does anyone know why the release of the 1939 Register was allowed, as long as the details of anybody born less than 100 years ago were withheld, but the same thing can’t be done with census returns. I am just curious why, when the 1921 census was eighteen years earlier than the Register, we are being made to wait until 2022 before we can see it.

Thanks
Carol

Re: The census 100 year rule and the 1939 Register

Carol,
The 100 year rule for censuses was established after the 1911 census was taken, so that allowed a loophole to get it released a year or so earlier than the 100 years. However for the subsequent censuses that loophole does not exist, so they will be releases on the scheduled 100 year dates
The 1939 register was not a census so census rules do not apply. It was released,just for people already deceased,based upon a freedom of information action in the early 21st century.
Dave

If you haven't already looked at it, 'The 1939 Register - The National Archives' website is very helpful, explaining who is and who is not included. For some years afterwards, women's surnames were amended when they married, and I've found that not all children's names were redacted when the records were released several years ago.
Also there are occasionally errors when hand-written records are transcribed from original documents. (I'm a long-standing transcriber for Sheffield Indexers, so I speak from experience!)

Hi Dave and Jacqui

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that the 1939 Register isn’t classed as a census, but I still think if it’s possible to release it, and redact certain records, then it should be possible to release the census returns earlier and follow the same format. It’s probably my frustration at having to wait to find out where my wandering 2xgreat-grandmother, born in 1866, went next as she seems to have been on her own version of a grand tour of the UK.

Jacqui – I’ve also found records on the 1939 Register of individuals born in the 1920s and 1930s; I've assumed either proof of death has been provided or they've been transcribed in error.

Thanks
Carol

Carol,
It is not a question of what can and cannot be done on a technical basis. The 100 year census rule is set in law. To do what you want would need a change in the law, that is an act of Parliament rescinding that law. The 1939 index did not have that legal restriction.
Dave