Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clara Jane Buxton

I am now looking for the birth of Clara Jane Buxton Born ? 1849 in Haxley Westwood Lincolnshire.

I have tried all the usual ancestry sites and other researcher's but all they have come up with is the year 1849. In 1851 she was living with her parents John Buxton & Elizabeth Buxton Nee Wheatcroft in Eldon Street in Ecclesall Bierlow all the family named as (Benston)

1n 1861 she was living in Nether Halam. with her step mother Elizabeth Buxton nee Wheatcroft.

Her Father was John Buxton born 05 - 12 - 1813 in Gainsborough he died Apr - Jun - 1858 in Heeley age 46 her step mother Elizabeth Buxton nee Wheatcroft born 02 - 09 - 1811 Sheffield and died Oct -Dec - 1878 age 67. They married 17 - 02 - 1851 in Rotherham.

Clara's mother Susanna Webster (John's first wife was born 14 - 04 - 1811 in Haxey Westwood married 27 - 01 - 1836 in Heeley and died Apr - Jun - 1850 in Gainsborough age 39. what happened to Clara Jane after 1861 ?
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: Clara Jane Buxton

Hi Fred, There is a Jane Buxton registered 1st quarter 1849 Thorne, Yorkshire but I cannot find it on the GRO to confirm the Mothers name. regards Barry

Tha GROindex has that birth as Jane BuSton. Mmn Masfield

Hello Fred

There is a birth registered for a Jane Buxton in the 4th quarter of 1843 - Gainborough Union. MMN = Webster.

This child was baptised at Haxey 9th Oct 1843

Jane Webster daughter of John (Tailor) and Susannah of Newbigg.

Anne

Hi Fred
A Clara Jane Buxton married James Bell in Q2 1869 Carlisle. The GRO index identifies at least 5 children for them, one of whom is John Buxton Bell.
Dave
Edit A Jane Buxton age 3 died Sept Q 1847 Gainsborough according to GRO Index

Hi Fred

Just picking up on Daves find re Clara Jane Buxton marrying James Bell in Carlisle. I've looked at the 1871 census and they are living in Carlisle - Clara Jane is aged 22 (so birth year abt 1849) and her birthplace is listed as Sheffield! So could be your Clara Jane and just gave Sheffield, where she grew up and was all she knew, instead of Haxey/Westwood as on the 1851 and 1861 census, which would have be given by her father/stepmother.

Also, the Baptism for Jane Buxton 1843 in Haxey (Father john, Mother Susannah) Anne mentioned and the death for Jane Buxton aged 3 in 1847 Dave mentioned - I looked at the burial record for this and think its most likely the same Jane Buxton, as on the Burial record the address was down as 'Westwood'.

So looks like Clara was given the middle name of 'Jane' after this Jane who died (still doesnt solve the mystery of no birth/baptism record for her, when all John and Susannahs other children were baptised!).

Denise

Susannah Buxton nee Webster died Q1 1850. This suggests that the birth of Clara Jane (about 1849) and her mother's death are rlinked. I suggest that because of the death off the mother so soon after the birth that the registration of the birth was forgotten.
The father re married quite soon after, so the baptism would also be forgotten.
Dave

Hi Anne,
the Jane Buxton you mentioned was born Oct - Dec - 1843 in Gainsborough Vol 14 Page 324 Baptized 09 - 10 - 1843 in Haxey Lincolnshire Father John Buxton mother Susanna ? this Jane died in 1844 age 3 in Haxey, I am wondering if this could be also the child born by John Buxton and Susanna Webster and they have named Clara Jane after the first Jane? which I have found this does happen.
I have asked GRO to see if they can sort this out for me Also I have sent for a copy Birth certificate for Clara Jane.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Denise,
I have not found the 1871 census for James Bell & Clara Jane Bell nee Buxton, So I have sent for a copy marriage certificate because I could not find this marriage in the Cumbrian BMD. although I found the marriage record on the ancestry site. So I am now hoping this is the correct Carla Jane Buxton I am looking for.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Dave,
have found a birth record for a Jane Buxton born Oct - Dec - 1843 in Gainsborough Baptized 09 - 10 - 1843 Haxley Lincolnshire and died 1844 in Haxley and buried 22 - 08 - 1844 her Parent's are named as John Buxton & Susanna. which leaves me to think that Clara Jane was named after Jane which often happens.
My very best wishes.
Fred wheatcroft.