Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
South Yorkshire Asylum

Hi All, I was wondering if I could find out some more information on an ancestor that died in SYA. She was admitted as a private patient on the 17th March 1880. Where would I begin looking? Any help greatly appreciated
Sally x

Re: South Yorkshire Asylum

Hi Sally

The index of admissions for SYA (also known as Middlewood Hospital) is on the Sheffield Council website and gives quite a bit of information:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-library/research-guides/mental-health.html.

Denise

Hi Denise, thanks for the link I already have the admission which I got from Sheffield archives the reason is stated as mania. I’m trying to find out more about this and why she was sent their paid for by her husband.
Sally x

Hi Sally,
I had a vey similar problem, and I was very lucky to find more detail. In my case my grandmother was admitted to SYA in 1913 with "recent mania". She died. In 1917 and, by law, an autopsy was done. I was fortunate that part of the autopsy report survived and some annual reports of changes to her condition. You could try asking the archives if there are any surviving documents, though I suspect if there were they would have told you.
I discovered what I believe was the root cause of her problem ( post natal stress exacerbated by what was going on around her ) by studying the details of her immedite family at the time..
Happy to provide more details if it will help.
Dave