Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for information about Letty Jackson born 1840

I believe her parents were Ann nee Mallison and Joseph Jackson on the 1851 census she is 11 year old living with her mum on Blonk st in a lodging house helping her mother run the place .
But cannot find her after this . I have a DNA contact who said she went to Bradford and lived with a William OHara had family and lived there . I looked for a marriage but could not find one , but the spelling of both Letty, Lettie, Lititia is no help along side Oharra, Ohrara Ohara .
any of you guys help un ravel please or know where to look

Alan Turner

Re: looking for information about Letty Jackson born 1840

Hi Alan,

This Birth registration bears out her birth.

JACKSON, LETTY MALLISON
GRO Reference: 1839 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 565

She was certainly living with William O'Hara in 1871.

I only checked out two children and they both have the mothers maiden name as Jackson.

You can re check that on the GRO index.

Mary Ann was born in 1866 and by using FreeBMD I looked for a marriage around that time.
1863-1869 in Sheffield & Bradford.No luck so maybe they never married.

So maybe more work for you checking out the other children on the GRO index. If they all have the mothers MMN of Jackson looks like the DNA testing has born fruit.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Alan,
This excellent website has a few POSSIBLE answers for you:

Check out the 1841 census to find the Jackson family still on Blonk Street
Ann Jackson age 35, Joseph Jackson age 20 and Letty age 1
plus shown on Blonk Street under MALLINSON(note the n) there is George Mallinson age13 and Martha Mallinson age 12.
On Family Search website for 1841 these two Mallinson children are shown as part of the Jackson family.

Under Baptisms: you will find George Mallinson B;24 July/1827 mother-Ann(Spinster)
Martha Ann Mallinson B:23 May/1830 mother Ann(spinster)

Also under baptisms you will find
Ann MALLISON Baptized April 14/1805 parents Elizabeth & Michael
if you type in the name MALLISON with parents Michael and Elizabeth, there are 6 other children recorded
however- 1 of those is under MALLINSON.

Elizabeth and Michael have their obit's on this site also; Elizabeth is under MALLISON and Michael under MALLINSON both died at Grimesthorpe
Joseph Jackson must have died between 1841 and 1851, Ann being shown as a widow on the 1851 census.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy
Thank you for the information I already have various births for children born to Ann Jackson nee Mallison before she wed. she had three children as a spinster then married Joseph Jackson and had Letty in 1820. sounds a character running a Boarding (bawdy) house maybe . after Joseph I never found whether she re married but will re look . its a DNA contact that sparked the re interest . Thank you also to Elaine for your help

regards Alan

Hi Alan,

Just a nudge..... Letty was born 1839 NOT 1820 as you have stated in your last message.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you my mistake ' She was 21 when she (spinster ) had her first child
Elizabeth Mallison1825 then George Mallison 1828 and then Martha Ann mallison 1829.
I have her marriage cert to Joseph Jackson Letty in 1839 and William in 1842.

thanks for your help

do you ever hear from Danniele came across her name on some old copy .

regards Alan Turner