Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Graves at the sheffield General Cemetery

Hi I have been down to the sheffield general cemetery this morning to find the graves of

Charles and Ann Bell grave 71 section F3 and

Charles and Ann Parkin grave 15189/21643 section A2 118

But there are no grave head stone. I meet a man there who said that the sheffield council used the old grave stones to make the paths round the grave yard is this true?

But did thay have grave stones any way if so how can I find out if thay did and if thay have been saved???

Paul Wray

Re: Graves at the sheffield General Cemetery

Hi Paul,

You would be better contacting the General Cemetery people.

The stones where probably not saved and if you walked around the Cemetery you would have seen the ones they used as pathways.

Maybe all these stones that were used this way would have had what ever info was on the stones copied to their Monumental Inscriptions (M.I)

Look over to the left MI's and read what it say for the General Cemetery.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Paul,
There is supposed to be a gravestone on the Parkin grave, but it says it is "in the grave". I assume that means it is laid horizontally on the grave and, presumably , is overgrown.
Dave

I did pop to the cemetery and the area where the parkin grave is was looks very flat not sure if the council put soil over the graves I will have to look into it a bit more?

Going from memory and where A2 is situated right off the pathway I think it is in amongst some trees with very few remaining headstones.

I am sure they would have landscaped the area of the major stone removals on the Anglican
side of the cemetery. Yes that area is very flat and some of the stones were placed not only on pathways but against perimeter walls.

I would certainly ask at the Gatehouse on Cemetery Road. Getting the correct information right from the horses mouth so to speak.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi

You can contact the Friends using these details:

Sheffield General Cemetery Trust, The Gatehouse, Cemetery Avenue, Sheffield S11 8NT

T: 0114 268 3486 Email: sgct@gencem.org

They will tell you if the stones still exist and they have files containing the MI's

Angela