Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Locating burial of baby born In 1960

Hi at my Grandmas request I'm trying to locate where her son was buried born at the chapeltown maternity unit in June 1960 (possibly 1959 she's slightly confused) he died shortly after birth and they never named him I just have his surname of Simpson to work on....i know in them days babies were buried along with another adult and we're never discussed again...can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Locating burial of baby born In 1960

Hi Laura,

Three suggestions.

1.His birth should still be registered. So check with the Sheffield City Council Site and see if there is an unnamed child listed at the end of the Simpsons. As he was not a still birth I believe they were entered in the normal register.

2.Is the Maternity unit still in operation? If so ask what their protocol was infant deaths.

3. I dont think the burial with adults was still carried on in the 1960's.
Is there a Local Funeral Home that you could ask?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Laura, if he was born alive then there has to be both a birth reg and a death reg.
To find those with certainty we need your grandmother's maiden name please
Dave

Thanks Dave her maiden name was Taylor (margaret)

Thanks for replying Elaine the maternity unit no longer exists I have emailed the council asking for help today

Hi Laura,

This is the Council Site I mentioned.

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/Home.aspx

I have checked and there is NO mention of an unnamed Simpson child in the time frame you gave us.

Elaine in Ottawa.

thanks for looking...I'm going to see if she can give me any further details...not sure how good the search Is in the link to be fair it's not bringing up any births I search for when I know the exact year of birth and full names

Laura, when and where did your grandmother Taylor marry Mr Simpson please.
Really struggling to find any remote possibility on this one. How sure are you of your grandmother's story please?
Dave

They married at st Christopher's on bellhouse road shiregreen..I think this may have been 1957...I will see her tomorow and see if she can remember any more details

Hi Laura

I know you said he was born alive and died shortly after birth - but I've found a couple of Burials for a stillborn Simpson -

22 June 1960
15 June 1959

Both at City Road Cemetery.

Denise

Denise thank you so much...I did wonder if he would have been added to the still born register with Dave struggling to find a birth record... I know she never got to hold him I think he had some kind of abnormality ..I will see if I can verify again the year with her...my grandma was always led to believe that he was burried with another lady ...I don't suppose that would narrow it down?

Vanessa, the stillbirths are in the burials here over to the left.
Search for surname Simpson and forename CHILD, and put CITY* in the Cemetery field. That gives you 24 answers. The 2 dDenise found are in that list. I think the 1959 one must be correct because that one was from Women's home. The 1960 one was from City General Hospital.
Good luck
Dave

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it keeps coming back zero results when I search myself. Would anybody be so kind to post me the link so I can study it myself....I will also await my response from council I really dont want to get her hopes up .

Go to Burial Records

In Cemetery put City* (the asterisk is necessary)
In Forename put Child
In Surname put Simpson.
press search.
You get 11 answers
Dave

Thank you dave . I thought they'd be something simple I wasn't doing!. so grateful for all your help!

Hi Laura,

So many times when we are trying to research information especially from family members stories become a little fragmented. My father had me looking in Co Mayo for his grandmother. It turned out her surname was Mayo from Northamptonshire. LOL.

The Link by the way is working fine so have another search with material you know for sure is correct.

Did you change where it says [Select a Certificate Type] ????

If you are still not getting anything just enter Surname and year and see what happens.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks Elaine...yes it was probably most likely me searching wrong haha...I've been to the cemetry today and located where he's burried....not sure if I've wasted my money but requested some research from Sheffield archives also ....they may just find what you kind people have already found me but just want to make sure before I tell my Grandma as I don't want to get her hopes up. If it's correct she will finally have some closure and will be over the moon.

Your very welcome.......

We try to help where we can.

If your gran is up to it maybe she would like to visit or at least you could take a photo if you haven't already.

Though its nearly 60yrs since it happened she was obviously very concerned about what had happened to him.

We have moved on from the days of ignoring this kind of situation. Having worked in obstetrics for years I know how these mums feel.

Take care

Elaine in Ottawa.

Just want to say a massive thanks for everybody's help and for guiding me on how to search....I took my Grandma to her baby's grave yesterday and she was truly overwhelmed we found him....she now has some peace....Thanks to you all :)