Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA

Just wondering if anybody has had their DNA done on Ancestry or FMP. I'm tempted to have mine done (when there's an offer on) and just wondered if it is worth doing or should I just save my money :) Thanks

Re: DNA

My daughter had her dna done and amazingly its proved the father of her great grandfather so very exciting.

I Had mine done with Ancestry and have mixed opinions. The first set of results proved very interesting (but nothing astounding) and was pretty much as expected -

53% Western Europe
29% Great Britain
6% Scaninavia
13% Ireland/Scotland/Wales.
This all made perfect sense based on my research

They then update the results and it changed to:
95% Great Britain
3% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
2% Norway
Not matching up with my research regarding Ireland/Scotland/Wales, so I quite bit disappointed.

However, I have been connected with a couple of 3rd cousins I didnt know about.

I think it all depends on what you're hoping to find out. My personal view is that its interesting (possibly entertaining), but should be viewed in a fairly 'pinch of salt way' unless backed up by solid research evidence.

The other thing to consider is the type od DNA test you want to take, as the 3 key types give different results (and then theres the difference in how Ancestry, FMP etc analyse and produce their results - which all differ)

This is a really interesting article which may help you decide

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/blog/what-dna-testing-can-tell-you-about-your-family-history

Denise

Thank you Sue and Denise x

Thank you for the link it's very interesting :)

Hi Dawn,

For fun I had my DNA done back in 2017.

Results were very surprising.

I used MyHeritage.
89.2% North & West European
5.9% Scandinavian.
4.1% English.
0.8% Nigerian.

I have had contacts with 3rd cousins but never been able to see a link.
I realise that the results very much depend on the numbers that are in the database.

From my own extensive research I am Sheffield and area through & through. My maternal grandmother was from Northern Northamptonshire and I have her line back to 1580.

Maybe those Vikings have a lot to answer for. LOL.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine x

hello dawn, ive had maternal paternal and family finder dna done, by far the most rewarding one was family finder whereby up to 3rd and 4th cousins can be found. had some very good results which have confirmed my research. when I got my family finder results I then uploaded them onto a site called gedmatch, they take results drom all major testers and this gives far more results and its a free service. kind regards stuart.

Not heard of this one I will have a google.

Thank you Stuart :)

Hi Dawn. I've had mine done with both Ancestry and Living DNA. I found my results on Ancestry more interesting but like someone else has said, when they did an update a few months ago, mine updated to be less like what I knew it to be. I've also used my rawDNA from my Ancestry test and uploaded it to MyHeritage and that has given me a more accurate percentage to what I believe my DNA to be. I would take the tests with a pinch of salt with regards to heritage percentages.

However, my Ancestry test has been great for confirming some research lines for me, particularly with my Jones line where my great grandfather has lied about his age by a few years and my research always left me with a small doubt on whether I had found the right man's birth. My test confirmed I had. I've found a few distant cousins with the research. I've also tested both my parents on the site so I get more accurate results now with whether my matches are maternal or paternal.

Regards, Claire

Hi

I had my DNA tested at Ancestry a good while ago when very few had done it, so the rellie matching was patchy, however now more people are having it done it gets better and better. It will improve over time with more info in their analytical database.

Now I get contacted all the time from very distant relatives by the Ancestry DNA matching, which is both good and bad of course. Mostly folk who don't want to do the research on their trees and want a free ride. Usually the ones who don't even want to spend money on an Ancestry subscription account after having their DNA tested. So my tree is private for that reason. Being Irish Catholics my lot bred and bred, so you have to select those who really need help, and have done some research themselves, and who are not too distantly related, or you'd be doing it all your waking hours trying to find out how they are related. I was able to help an adopted American female find her mother, because as soon as she contacted me by the DNA match, I had a hunch who she was and was able to put them in touch. That was the 2nd adopted away baby I had found for my wider family. Of course you must be diplomatic and tread carefully in those circumstances, but so far, joyous reunions. Ancestry DNA is fantastic for finding close family if you are adopted away, or for breaking down pesky brick walls. Even the most seasoned researchers have brick walls.

Ann

Hi Dawn, Both my wife & I have had our DNA done with both ancestry & Living DNA. From our results , my view is that if you have spent quite a few years researching your family trees then you are unlikely to find matches nearer than 4th cousins. Even when your match has a tree (& a large majority dont) its difficult to work out how you are connected because its almost certainly via a female line.
I think many people do the test to get the ethnicity estimate only. Based on our experience for ethicity estimate LivingDNA is better than ancestry but for matches, ancestry is significantly better as it has a much larger database of subscribers.
Best of luck, John

Thank you everyone :)

Had mine done and it surprised me with 100% Yorkshire , well I know at least back to 1520 my Yorkshire roots so only 500 more to go to prove it . I have been contacted by people and I have contacted them most to fill in the bits I don't know regarding women marrying which is always harder. Overall interesting it takes time to figure how and where to go with it.

Thanks Alan :)