Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MITCHELL BURIAL

Hi all, I have been searching for this burial for quite a while. I have the info that the grave is in General Cemetery Section K1 Grave 107. After searching the cemetery and not finding it I contacted the General manager who told me K1 does not go up to 107- If anyone could shed any light on this I would really appreciate it
Grave contains
Henry Mitchell 1833-1901
Eliza Mitchell 1835-1880
Mary Gray Thompson 1864-1939
Thanks
Sally x

Re: MITCHELL BURIAL

Hi

I have the transcription from the Friends of the General Cemetery, and K1 107 is correct, in the ANGLICAN SECTION.

Perhaps he was checking the non-conformist section.

Angela

There is another burial in this grave.

10358 K1 107 Died 8 May 1881 Buried 11 May 1881, Henry Mitchell aged 19. Son of Henry Mitchell, agent of 17 Northumberland Road MI

According to the list there is a MI.

Angela

Sally,
According to my listings section K1 goes up to 153.
Section K only goes up to 95.
Dave

Thanks everyone.
So I must have been looking in the wrong section
Maybe I should get in touch with the friend of the cemetery and see if they can help me find it
Sally x

Sally, if you go to Burials over to the left then click on Maps and Photos at the top you will find your way to a map of the General Cemetery which shows where all the sections are.
Dave

Hi Dave, yes Thankyou for your help. I did already have the map and have searched K1 through bramble and nettle! But still I couldn’t find it so think I may have to contact the cemetery again and hope somebody can help me.
Sally x

I found a gravestone buried nearly a foot deep laid flat, find the nearest grave and have a prod around they are nearly all side by side.

Thankyou Pete, that is good advice I have probably walked over some (shudders) is there a way to find out who is buried near them?
Thanks in advance. Sally x

Sally, there are 28 graves in K1listed as having MIs. Shall send you a list of numbers with names to your email address
Dave

Dave, only just seen your message and have received your email. That will be such a big help so Thankyou so much.
Sally x

Well over 2 years on and numerous visits! I am still unable to locate this grave. I have the right cemetery, the plot number, the map and thanks to Dave a list of the other MIs in that section to help me locate but I just cannot find it. It is so frustrating as I know it is there somewhere. I was also unable to locate any of the MIs on the list Dave sent me! I figured I must be in the wrong section so used find my grave app to look up the graves around me to make sure I was in the right section and I was. Really not sure what else I can do or what help you can all give me but if anybody has any clues on what I can do next. Please let me know I am at a complete loss.
xx

A lot of gravestones were removed in the Anglican section and this is confirmed from a statement on the General Cemetery website.

The Cemetery was closed for burial in the late 1970s. At this time Sheffield City Council removed many of the gravestones in the Anglican area to create more green space near to the city centre. The remains of those buried were not disturbed.

Hope this helps

Angela

Thanks Angela I will look into that. Were the MIs relocated anywhere do you know or is there a way to find out which ones were removed? The location is K1 107