Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Giovanni Antonio Peperone (also spelt Peperonie) - His life annd family in sheffield

My wife's ancestor Giovanni Antonio Peperone (also spelt Peperonie) was born in Levaggi, Genoa in 1870. He emigrated about 1890 (or earlier) to live in Sheffield. In the 1891 UK census he was living with 19 Italians at 30 Smithfield in the household of Antonio Cassinelli who was married to Dominiick Spinetto. I believe all three originated from Borzonasca and Mezzanego and could have emigrated together (although Antonio Cassinelli was living in the UK much earlier). Giovanni lost his father before he was born but I cannot trace whether his mother, Domenica Curotto, also emigrated to Sheffield.

I am trying to piece together his early years in Italy, the possible connection with Antonio and Dominick and how and when he migrated to the UK. Any insights on his early years and how to find genealogical information about Borzonasca would be much appreciated.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=6598&h=5227288&ssrc=pt&tid=21293179&pid=432091849199&usePUB=true

Giovanni married in 1893 at Emmanuel Church Sheffield and had 6 children with Mary Ann Lockton (partly documented on the West Bar website). He died in Wath upon Deane in 1919. Any insight on his life in Sheffield from 1870 to his marriage - his church (St Judes?), his school and whether he had any siblings would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Re: Giovanni Antonio Peperone (also spelt Peperonie) - His life annd family in sheffield

Tony,
Antonio Cassinelli burial is on this site in Burials over to the left. There are many young Cassinelli children buried with him, as well as Angela, Cassinelli, widow. All were from Smithfields.
Dave

Re: Giovanni Antonio Peperone (also spelt Peperonie) - His life annd family in sheffield

Tony,
Antonio Casinnelli has a very clear history in Uk. He married Elizabeth Williams in Sheffield in 1854 and they had many children at frequent intervals ( see GRO index) until 1876 when Elizabeth died a few months after giving birth to Olinda.
In 1882 Antonio married his servant Angela Spinetti, who was 25 years his junior. They had regular and frequent (and short lived) children until Antonio died in 1895. Angela lasted only a few months after him ( see burials on the left)
So Antonio was in Sheffield 15 years before Giovani pepperoni was born.
Antonio was an Ice Cream Dealer, and in 1881 and 1891 he had servants and many young (Italian) lodgers. Giovani was just one of these in 1891.
It is highly unlikely there was any family connection.
there is no sign of any obvious marriage or death for Givanni's mother in England and Wales.
You should assume he most probably travelled to England alone in the late 1880s,and before March 1891.
Dave

Thank you Dave, very helpful. I had not connected Angela was a servant and Giovanni was the son of a foundling in Italy, so it makes sense to make a new life. I have not ruled out that his mother (Curotto) was from a family of mariners but I have drawn a blank so far on this possibility. I still think some of the Spinetti's originate from Mezzanego, adjacent to Borzonasca. Thank you once again

Hi Tony,

Just to add to Daves suggestion that you check out our BURIAL transcription you can also add our BAPTISMAL & MARRIAGES under Parish Registers.

We covered St Marie's & St Vincent's pretty thoroughly. Just scroll down below our C of E churches the RC ones are at the bottom of the page.

Another suggestion if you check out Family Search they may have records from those areas in Italy that you mentioned.

Good luck.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you Elaine

I am making lots of duscoveries. Thank you

I am also trying to find more information about Mariae Annea Lockton (and Giovanni Peperoni) after they moved to Wath upon Dearne, in particular her death. Are there other sources i should be looking at please? Many thanks

From Free BMD Mary A Peperoni married Samuel Lister in Rotherham, Q1 1921
Dave

Hi Tony,

By using FreeBMD as Dave suggested you should be able to see who of the Lockton/Peperoni/Lister family were living there until the 1980's.Rotherham registration district seems to cover Wath.

The cut off date is probably due to the GRO date lines for Births 100yrs, 75yrs marriages, 50yrs for deaths. BUT we all like to push it a little.You can check on FreeBMD yourself for any cut off dates.

Maybe a couple of marriage certificates from the GRO would help with addresses etc.
All can be done on line. Cheaper if they give you a downloadable PDF file with the info on it.

Our getting started might help you as well.
The more recent you are researching the harder it is to find material. Its also the same the further back you get especially in the 1600's.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Tony, you need to look at GRO index(free online) to find the births of Giovani's and Mary Ann's NINE children. The parish registers on this site give you the baptisms, with addresses , of those born in Sheffield, and the burials on this site give you the deaths of some of them. Because they are Catholic baptisms there are also godparents.
Dave

Thank you Dave - ill check tomorrow

I had this marriage on my list to check and you confirmed it - thank you - I still need to track down Mary Ann's death details!

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Tony,

By using FreeBMD as Dave suggested you should be able to see who of the Lockton/Peperoni/Lister family were living there until the 1980's.Rotherham registration district seems to cover Wath.

The cut off date is probably due to the GRO date lines for Births 100yrs, 75yrs marriages, 50yrs for deaths. BUT we all like to push it a little.You can check on FreeBMD yourself for any cut off dates.

Maybe a couple of marriage certificates from the GRO would help with addresses etc.
All can be done on line. Cheaper if they give you a downloadable PDF file with the info on it.

Our getting started might help you as well.
The more recent you are researching the harder it is to find material. Its also the same the further back you get especially in the 1600's.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Elaine, I think a few key certificates is a very good idea - thank you

Earlier CUROTTOs in Sheffield (Antonio Casinelli as a godfather):

Curotto, Joannes Antonius (of ~, born 1856-08-05).
Baptised August 31, 1856, by Josepho Hill at St Maries, Sheffield Centre.
Parents name(s) are Rosa Canopa & Angeli (~).
Note: Canepa' consistently on Free BMD.
Godparents: Antonius Casanello, Anna Canopa

Carotto, Christophoro Dominico (of ~, born 1858-09-21).
Baptised September 26, 1858, by Francisco Josepho Callebert at St Maries, Sheffield Centre.
Parents name(s) are Rosa Cannopa & Angelo Simoni (~).
Godparents: Dominico Podesta & Antonina Lertora

...both CUROTTO in the GRO index

Antonina CANEPA married 'Gio Batta LERTORA' in 1857 at St Marie's. The GRO index has lertora as a given name.

The father's middle name Simone appears to be his surname when he married, though this may be a mistake:

(from FMP)
First name(s) Rosa
Last name CANOPA
Marriage year 1854
Marriage date 27 Nov 1854
Marriage place Sheffield, St Marie Cathedral
Spouse's first name(s) Curotte A
Spouse's last name SIMONE
Spouse's residence Mill Sands
Residence Mill Sands
Father's first name(s) Antonis
Spouse's father's first name(s) Christopher

Hugh

In 1881 Jean Batista and Antonina LERTORIA are in Leeds. They have 6 children and 21 lodgers.

Amongst the lodgers are:
John CUROTTO 25 ice cream seller bn Sheffield
Joseph CUROTTO 18 ice cream seller bn Sheffield

Hugh

Thank you Hugh. You are collaborating that Domenica CUROTTO does on appear in Sheffield / UK. Apart from the birth record of her son in 1870 (Giovanni Antonio Peperone), I cannot find any trace of her in Lavaggi, Borzonasca - any clues?

The year 1870, day 27 March, a Sunday, at 9 AM in Borzonasca in the office of the civil state. Before me GianBattista Marre', Secretary... in the town of Borzonasca, delegated on 23 December 1865. Personally appeared Domenico Costa, son of deceased Simone, age 50; and Giuseppe Maggi, son of deceased Antonio, age 64, landowners residing in Montemaggio of this town of Borzonasca, to inform of the death, as friends of the family of the deceased, declaring that at 1 PM today, 27th of the current month of March, died in Montemoggio, frazione Terze (third region), Casa Tealdo, Lotero Peperone, age 37, farmer, son of unknown parents, exposed (abandoned) at the Hospital of Genova, married with Domenica Curotto, daughter of the living Angelo, born in Genova, residing in said Montemaggio.

Thank you