Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information regarding Edmund Shepherd born Sheffield 1818-06-13

I am searching for more information on the parents of Edmund Shepherd born 1818-06-13. Baptised July 19, 1818 by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents Name(s) are Mary & - (Spinster)

I have come to a dead end here and would love any more information out there. He was my 3 x great grandfather.

Re: Information regarding Edmund Shepherd born Sheffield 1818-06-13

Hi Jann,

Did Edmund stay in England and particularly in Sheffield.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Edmund was transported as a convict to Australia in May 1834 where he finally settled and his defendants have lived to this day.

Hi Jann,

By using Family Search birthplace Sheffield date 1780-1800 they come up with four possibilities for Mary.

Thats the best I can do I am afraid.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I can see that FMP has 4 possibilities for Mary Shepherd baptism between 1795 and 1801. It also seems to indicate that some of them are buried in that same period, so perhaps someone with full acces may be able to eliminate some of them.
Also there are 2 possible marriages for Mary Shepherd, in 1824 and 1825.
Dave

Hi Jann

Following on from Daves FMP findings the 2 marriages for a Mary Shepherd are:

21 Nov 1824 - Sheffield Cathedral
Mary Shepherd - Widow
Robert Shepherd - Bachelor

24 Oct 1825 - Sheffield Cathedral
Mary Shepherd - Spinster
Henry Wardley - Bachelor

Dont know if that helps any!

Denise

Jann,
Your problem is , without further info, impossible to solve. Clearly Edmund was illegitimate and at age 16 he was deported as a criminal to Australia. If there is no further info from his criminal record, his shipping record or newspapers then we can only guess. There are several possible baptisms for his mother Mary in Sheffield. Any one may be her.
A very common occurrence in those days was that a young woman would have an illegitimate child and later would marry. In this case there are 2 possible marriages , and Denise has identified that one can be eliminated (the widow who married in 1824). However the remaining one is merely a possibility and there is no way to find proof because Edmund left the country before the 1841 census
Dave

Hi Jann,

Another possibility is to see if he was in the Workhouse but as so few records were saved that may also lead nowhere.

Naming patterns of his children may also help.

From when he landed in Australia was he bonded out to someone and were records kept?

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS. Found this info on Ancestry. He was given seven years for stealing a something hatchet & hammer.

Name: Edmund Shepherd
Estimated birth year: abt 1818
Date Received: 27 Jan 1834
Ship: Euryalus
Place Moored: Chatham
Date Convicted: 8 Jan 1834
Place Convicted: Doncaster

Do you have info from Australia where he stated he came from Sheffield??

Elaine in Ottawa

Edmund Shepherd and John Jones alias Johns were charged with stealing at Sheffield, a hammer and hatchet, the property of William Spooner, The Court sentenced them to be transported for the term of seven years each.
CHRISTMAS QUARTER SESSIONS .
The Sheffield Independent, and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 11, 1834; Issue 679. British Library Newspapers, Part II: 1800-1900.