Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jennie Goldsborge McAllen

Hi Debs

I think Jennie snr died in 1937 so cannot be on the 1939 register. Her burial is on this site, along with Arthur and one child.

COPNELL, Alec (Son of Arthur, age 7).
Died at 11 Paget St; Buried on July 13, 1932 in General ground;
Grave Number 909, Section KK of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, W H Dunn: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

COPNELL, Arthur (Labourer, age 67).
Died at 42 Tipton Street; Buried on February 17, 1944 in General ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister: F Masters: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

COPNELL, Jennie Mcallen (Wife of Arthur Copnell, age 51).
Died at Royal Hospital; Buried on January 21, 1937 in General ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, M Holmes: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

In 1939,Arthur is living at 53 Godric Road, Sheffield
Leonard Copnell 12 Dec 1912 Male Blacksmiths Strikes Heavy Worker Married
Nellie Liversidge 26 Nov 1915 Female Unpaid Domestic Dutie Married
Arthur Copnell 18 Apr 1876 Male Labourer Steel Works Widowed

Hope this helps

Sue

Wow! Thank you Elaine. This is beginning to add up.

Arthur Copnell was married to Selina Hibberd in 1900 and had 4 children (the last in 1910). As you saw he then turns up on the 1911 census with Jennie McAllen and then I believe they went on to have 3 children with the surname McAllen but the middle name of Copnell.

Jennie jnr I just haven’t managed to find even with many tries using different combination of names.

I will start looking at the tips you have given now - Arthur is turning out to be a very interesting character.

Maybe I also need to look at whether Jennie Snr had a journey out to Canada and see if she was maybe working for a family there.

Thank you Sue. You are right. It was the West Yorkshire electoral register that I was thinking of!

This is more info that I didn’t have. Thank you again

Debs,

Just a thought.

If Jennie snr was a Catholic there would be NO 2nd marriage if she had indeed married "Joe" Goldsborge. BUT I wonder if its really Goldsborough?

Maybe our good friend WENDY in Guelph Ontario could do a look up for a Goldsborge in Montreal please when she has time. (Fathers Day).

My husband has a Goldsborough in his Ancestry in Leeds. Another large Jewish community.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Debs,

I am related to Jennie McAllen and Arthur Copnell through their daughter Alice.

Ill try and dig out all the info I have on her for you.

Will be in touch soon,

Jonathan

Wow!

Thank you Jonathon. That was unexpected. I am related to Arthur Copnell, his mother (Emma) is my gg grandmother. I think his father maybe William Kennie my gg grandfather.

I look forward to hearing from you.

So Jennie has been a bit of a difficult person to trace over the years. As you probably know she never married Arthur Copnell - mainly because he was still married to Selina Hibberd.

I applied to have the Ecclesall Union Workhouse records searched to find any additional clues related to Jennie.

They managed to find the entries relating to the admission to the maternity ward when Jennie gave birth to her daughter Jennie.

Jennie Goldsberge born 30th Jan 1910 at the Ecclesall Workhouse to Jennie. It states that the child was legitimate and that it was Jennie's second pregnancy. The records state that Jennie was 25 at the time of the birth. That is really all of note from the maternity records.

I have some other information on a scrap of paper from admission records to the workhouse from a number of months before Jennie gave birth.

Admitted to the workhouse 29th Nov 1909. DOB given as 24/11/1884 of 27 Havelock Street, Ecclesall Bierlow. The records state that she is the wife of a Lewis Goldsburg, slipper maker. She was discharged on the 17th Dec 1909. Her NOK is listed as The Matron, 27 Havelock Street.

I dont think I ever sucessfully located a Lewis Goldsberg. And of course all that could have been made up.

She did seem to have a bit of an unconventional life did Jennie!

Ill have a root around in my books to see if I have anything else jotted down that might be useful

Thank you Jonathon this is really helpful information. So we don’t know if Arthur is Jennie father, it is a possibility I suppose.

The date of birth that you have for Jennie (mother) fits with some evidence that I found but haven’t been able to verify - a baptism for Jane McAllen on 12 Dec 1885 in Middlesbrough and dob 24 Nov 1885. Mother Sarah Russell with no father documented.

I am unable to find another birth that fits, have you?

Arthur also had an interesting life so it seems that they were well matched!

That’s interesting! Do you have a copy of the birth certificate for the birth of Jane McAllen? I had contemplated getting it as I have had no other links!

Is there a way we could share our information off the forum? I’m not sure whether I can put my email address on here!

Jonathon, Welch message that you post has a link to your email address at the bottom ditto for everyone else.
Dave

Hi Jonathon

I have emailed you

Debs