Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: William Wright 1810

Will, how do you know that your ggg G father was born in 1810 please?
Dave

Hi Will, I know it is not nice to think of but have you considered the possibility that William did not die but went into the workhouse and Miranda remarried out of necessity. There is a record of a William Wright in the 1841 census in the workhouse. regards Barry

Dave,
To be honest, I've been searching this for years and probably used hints along the way that pointed to 1810.
This forum provided me with a lot of valuable information.
I thought I had the correct William Wright, but could be wrong.
I do have a copy of their marriage certificate

Barry,
I have thought of that also, but haven't found anything that made sense.
The 1841 date could be a possibility
Thanks

Will, I assume the marriage record does not indicate the age of either party. If this is true then the only two positive pieces of info you have are that his wife re-married in 1836, and they had 3 children baptised, the last in 1834.
For his wife to remarry in 1836 then we must assume he had died. If he had not then she committed the criminal offence of bigamy. It is likely (but not absolutely certain)that he was present at the conception of the third child. So it is most likely he died in that 2 to 3 year period. There are not many of the right name who are recorded as dying in that period, and in the area, and some of those were too young. The remaining few were all born well before 1810. I suggest he was likely one of those. Perhaps you should try to trace those few to eliminate them (or not).
Dave