Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Redman Lockey - my brickwall

Hello Sheffield Indexers! Once again, I find myself in need of your most fantastic help. I have had a serious brickwall on my LOCKEY line for over 40 years. Recently, a friend found an unsourced, partial tree on line which looks VERY promising. My direct Lockey line ended with Redman Lockey who married Hannah Pearson in 1720 in YKS. The "partial tree" on line, however,erroneously states that THOMAS Lockey married Hannah Pearson.... That notwithstanding, that tree indicates there is a marriage possibly in Aston, YKS to Nicholas Lockey b. 1665-1670 and an Isabella with the following five children (all presumably born Aston?): Mary 1687; Nicholas 1689; Thomas 1695; Redman 1697 and Joseph - no date shown. The reason I think this sketchy tree MAY be one generation back for "my" Redman Lockey is due to the fact that this is fairly close to Throapham where Hannah Pearson was born and I have a "hunch" that Isabella's maiden name MAY be "Readman" or "Redman" or some other spelling variant. The Redman name has been carried down in practically every sibling in every generation of these Lockeys who mostly went over to County Durham to ply their metals trade.

Thanks for reading this rambling note, but I am grasping at straws to break down this brick wall and am hopeful that someone can access a marriage record in Aston, YKS for Nicholas Lockey b 1665-1670 and an Isabella whose first child, Mary, was born about 1687.A bonus, of course, would be to get a christening for my Redman Lockey in 1697!!!
Thank you for reading this request and I welcome any and all comments about my brickwall....

Sincerely, Patricia Hughes

Re: Redman Lockey - my brickwall

Hi Patricia
From FMP

Redman Lockey
Baptism year 1697
Baptism date 16 Jan 1697
Baptism place Aston *** Aughton
Dedication All Saints
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Nicholas
Residence Ullay

hope this helps

Sue

I will email you the original.

Hello Sue S. THANK YOU so very much for the baptism of Redman Lockey! AND, seeing the original register is a wonderful bonus. Words cannot adequately express my appreciation! Most sincerely, Patricia Hughes

Hi Patricia,

On Discovery - The National Archives, there are some entries for a Nicholas Lockey, under Court of Chancery. It mentions property in Ulley, Aston, Treeton etc, Yorkshire.

Moira.

Hi Patricia

The only marriage I could find for a Nicholas Lockey to an Isabella is this one-

Nicholas Lockey to Isabell Dixon 21 Jul 1744 at St Mary Whickham Durham
(transcription only).

So this Isabell is not the mother of Redman b.1697.

I did find this marriage which would fit the births of the children you mentioned.

Nicholas Lockey married Ann Dixon 1 Jul 1682 Middleton in Teasdale Durham.(transcription only)

I think Nicholas, the father of Redman, would probably be too old for the 1744 marriage and the Isabella on the tree you found seems to be incorrect.

Sue S

Hello Sue S. Thank you so much for your searching and your comments. It could easily be that Nicholas Lockey did not marry a woman named Isabella. Since Nicholas Lockey was involved in Chancery Court proceedings, I am hoping there may be some good family information in those records. Thank you so much for your interest! Sincerely, Patricia Hughes

Hi, there’s a cutlers apprentice record 1706 for a John Lockey with fathers name Nicholas. Likely baptism 1692 Aston, so looks like John might be one of Redman’s siblings. The apprentice record says that Nicholas was a yeoman.

Heths

Hello Heather in Hollad! Oh my! Thank you so much for this information. I feel 100% confident that this is the correct family for a number of reasons. Now, I wonder if there is any way I can determine the name of the estate or manor house that Nicholas Lockey owned..... Most sincere thanks for your interest and valuable information. Patricia Hughes

Hi Patricia,

Just been 'Googling', and under this entry 'C78 1718_Rpalmeruh.edu/waalt/index.php/
C78_1718, I found the following.

1718, 26 February, Regnal year 4 (George 1).
Nicholas Lockey of Rotherham, Yks, and sometimes of Ulley, Yorks, yeoman, son and
heir of Nicholas Lockey of Ulley, gent, who was the son and heir of John Lockey
of North Kelsey, Lincs, gent, who was brother and heir of Nicholas Lockey of Ulley,
who died 100 years ago upwards v. (it then list ten people).

Looks as though this case had been going on for years.

Moira.

National Archives have the 1619 will of John Lockey gentleman of North Kelsey. Ref is PROB 11/133/748.

Heths

Hello Moira! WOW! THAT is fantastic information that will take a while for me to digest!!!!! THANK YOU ever so much for your interest and in providing me with this link. Sincerely, Patricia Hughes

Hell again Heather! TANK YOU for the citation on this will which is, no doubt, key to what happened in this family... Thanks very much for your continued interest adn perseverance! Sincerely, Patricia Hughes

Hi Patricia,

I came across this entry in the London Marriage Licences 1521-1869. The entry
is also on FMP.
Robert Bogg of St-Martins-in-the-Field, gent, bachelor, about 21, and
Mrs Mary Lockey, of Ulley, Co, York, Widow, about 25, at St-Martins-in-the-Field,
Grays Inn, or Temple chapel. 11 Nov 1668 V.

Not quite sure where Mary fits in, but, the surname Bogg appears on the
Court of Chancery entries.

Moira.

Hello again Moira! You are certainly ferreting out many pieces to this Lockey puzzle....A friend sent me an Ancestry tree which has a JOhn Lockey b abt 1580 in London who married an Elizabetth Pallister or Robinson 19 Feb 1611 in Immingham,Lincolnshire. Lincolnshire was mentioned for some of these Lockeys in the North Kelsey area, I believe. I thank you for your information!

As an aside, an earlier entry mentioned a man named Burrows Trippett and Nicholas Lockey having legal issues: the 1687 law suit was, as stated, regarding property in Ulley, Aston and Treeton, YKS. Interestingly, a few years later in 1691 we have Nicholas Lockey AGAIN suing Burrowes Trippett over "money matters" (words from index). Also, this same Burrows Trippett reportedly rebuilt Richmond Hall Farm.......I am wondering is this property could relate to thier legal dispute????

Sorry to sdd more "grist for the mill."

Thanks for your continuing interest in my Lockey family..

Sincerely, Patricia "Pat" Hughes