Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
old farmhouse - Bengreave Farm

Hi - I wonder if anyone has any information or pointers that could tell me more about an old farmhouse (I'm told dates from the 16c) please? Its current address is Ben Greaves Farm, Hollin House Lane, Loxley - but from Googling the address it appears the district/area is called Holdworth. There is an entry for Holdworth farm and I'm wondering if these two are the same place? Also I saw there was a Holdworth Hall. I'm trying to find out exactly when the place was built, and who has lived there over the years. Any information gratefully received. Thank you, Theresa

Re: old farmhouse - Bengreave Farm

Hi Theresa,

I am sure I have seen that address recently in baptisms at St Nicholas in Bradfield.

If you contact Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives I am sure he will be able to help.

archives@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Side by side maps,

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.4163&lon=-1.5709&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Theresa, there are 5 documents of relevance in Bradfield Archives. It would seem that Holdworth farm was quite large and owned by Reverand Alderson and occupied by Jonathon Ibbotson in 1826 and 1828.
Bengreave Farm, apparently much smaller, was purchased about 1817 by a young Isaac Dickenson and his 16 year old wife Sarah. They lived there for about 10 years.
There was also a Bengreave Field, and a mine of some sort which supplied coal, so Bengreave seems to have been an area within Holdworth.
There is in Sheffield Achives an 1864 very large scale map of Holdworth which should shed more light.
Dave

Many thanks for the tip, I will certainly contact the Archives.
much obliged
Theresa

Many kind thanks Dave. This is much more than I'd hoped for! Really appreciate your time and I'll check all this in the Archives. You're a star!
Theresa

Many thanks for the map. Really interesting. I've seen this website before but not managed to find out how it works! I'll have to take a second look.

Really appreciate your time, so thank you
Theresa

Theresa,not sure you realise that the Bradfield Archves are free to use on line. The search term Holdsworth Farm finds 2 docs and the term Bengreave finds 3.
The large scale map of Holdsworth I referred to has to be requested in advance of your visit to the Sheffield Archives. It is not archived in a very obvious way so you may get an answer from the archives that they do not recognise your request.
I am currently on holiday. When I return home Saturday I shall post the exact file reference number for you.
Dave

Re: old farmhouse - Bengreave Farm - thank you (again) Dave

Thanks so much for you recent message Dave. No, I didn't realise I could download the documents myself. I'd already done a search simply on Bengreave (and Ben Greave) but nothing showed up so thought I'd have to visit. I'll give it another try.

Are you saying the large map is at Sheffield Archives (not Bradfield)? I don't live too far from SA so can easily pay them a visit for that but if its Bradfield, it will be a nice trip for me!

Thank you again for your invaluable help, and please do enjoy the rest of your holiday. I'll be grateful for the reference whenever you can?

all the best
Theresa

The large map is at Sheffield Archives. . From memory It is one of a set of 10 maps of the Bradfield area which together cover the whole Bradfield area All are dated 1864. One map is devoted just to Holdsworth. Each one is about 2 metres by 2 metres and the detail of individual buildings is amazing. I have posted the details on here in the past but those posts are no longer available.
I have a copy of the posting on my computer at home so can quickly find the exact ref no for you.
Dave

Theresa, as promised see below the Sheffield Archives reference for the very large scale map of Holdworth.It is number 4 in a set of ten which together cover the whole of the chapelry of Bradfield. Quote from Sheffield Archives:
"Plans prepared for the Wortley Board of Guardians for poor rate valuation purposes.
Unless otherwise stated the plans are all paper on linen, coloured to a scale of 3 chains to 1 inch (1:2376).
The plans were prepared by Thomas Spooner, land agent and surveyor, Burton on Trent, using earlier surveys if available. They were updated in 1882 by Smith, Goddarth & Co of Bradford and in 1898 (works, quarries, collieries and railways only) by Thomas F Hedley & Sons, Sunderland. Buildings on the original survey are coloured red, 1882 additions are in grey and 1898 additions in green.
The plans bear 'received' date stamps of the Poor Board and Tithe Commission.

Ref: SY/555/C1/4
Bradfield - The hamlet of Holdworth
Includes Loxley and Dam Flask. Area flooded by Dam Flask Reservoir shaded blue
230cm wide x123cm high

Take a camera with you, and be sure to call them a few days in advance so they can get it for you from the vaults
Dave

Theresa, thank you for your email.
There are 2 other sources of info you may wish to investigate.
FMP census records have 22 references which come up on the search term Bengreave. There appear to be 2 families associated with the word. They are Ibbotson in 1851 and Wragg in 1851 and 1871. Those original census records should be informative. You could then explore those families in the other censuses, particularly if they are still in Holdsworth.
Once you have the names of occupants it may be worth a trip to Wakefield Registry of Deeds to look up those occupants in the Name index, then follow up there with the deeds they are associated with.
Dave