Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent apprenticeships

My grandfather Albert Norton born 07.09.1900 was a dry stone grinder (forks), I watched him for many an hour at his grindstone with the sparks flying everywhere, no goggles etc. (no 'elf and safety!).

Albert's father Frederick Arthur Norton born 1871, his father George Norton born 1836 were also dry stone fork grinders. Possibly George's father was also a grinder. George Norton originated from Ecclesfield.

Frederick Arthur Norton had a "wheel" at the Sheffield Union Grinding Wheel where several men worked for him.

Is there any register viewable which shows their respective apprenticeships,
Regards,
Marlene C.

Re: Recent apprenticeships

Marlene, the simple answer is no.
In 1814 the Staturte of Artificers was repealed, finally ending the apprenticeship system by indenture. That is why the apprentices and freemen list ends when it does.
Your ancestors will simply have been trained on the job by their fathers, no documentation, no registration.
It is possible they may have applied for transfer of a trade mark , probably when their father died. You could ask for that info at the Cutlers Company. However they could be passed down by will in the 19th century, but I am aware of 2 that were re registered, one as as late as 1864. I have to admit that there were special reasons for those re registrations, so do not hold out too much hope.
Dave

Edit, as a grinder they are unlikely to have had a trade mark, so very little chance of there being anything.

Hi Dave,

I thought as much.
I suppose the sons sat with their fathers learning the trade with no qualifications ensuing, they would have merely grown up with it being a part of their lives.
Thanks for the official information, it's much appreciated.
Had there been information then I could probably have gone a bit further back in my Norton line i.e. the father of John born 1816, we're never satisfied in this malarkey!
Regards,
Marlene C

Hi Marlene,

Looks as if John was Baptised in Ecclesfield along with some of his siblings.

8 Jan 1815 NORTON John George Mary fork maker Grenoside

However they are the only ones listed between 1752-1824.

So where did George come from?

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,

I'm assuming George was from Ecclesfield/Grenoside too, I'm doing it from memory as I no longer have Ancestry.

I was surprised to find that my Norton line was from Ecclesfield/Grenoside as the line from George down lived/died in Norton/Heeley, they're buried in Norton Cemetery.

I thought that grinders would follow an apprenticeship as did my other maternal line who were shoemakers/cobblers.

Regards,
Marlene

Looking through the list of Nortons in the apprentice list over to the left there is only one involved with Fork making and he is George Norton, son of John, joiner of Leeds. Tantalisingly George was apprenticed in 1805 for 7 years in GRENOSIDE. Lots of coincidences there!!
Dave

Well Dave,
That's put a cat among the pigeons, introducing Leeds into the mix!

Is there any information to research regarding the men who George Norton and possibly his brother John Norton were apprenticed to Robert Swift and Neddy Seddon both from Grenoside (information from Apprentice list over to the left).

John Norton of Leeds (joiner) father of George & John was probably born born around 1760-70) Leeds area, is there anywhere to find this?

Regards,
Marlene C.

Robert Swift born 1776 buried St Mary Ecclesfield 1851
Note that Gerorge did not purchase his freedom. I therefore assume he carried on working for Robert Swift after completing his apprenticeship around 1812. He married Ecclesfield 1814 to Mary
Dave

Hi Marlene,

Try Family Search or even FreeReg.

Elaine.

PS. Forgot to add.

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Dave,
That sounds about right, thanks.
How did you know he didn't purchase his freedom and where did you find the burial please?

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Elaine,
Will do, I don't want to hog the site, thanks to all.

Regards,
Marlene C

Marlene,
The death of Robert Swift is on FMP, but also of course on Free BMD
In the apprentice list there is no F followed by a year. Therefore he did not purchase his freedom. In 1812 the apprentice system was already breaking down prior to its legal demise in 1814.
George married Mary Crosland in 1814 (FMP)

Neddy Seddon baptised 1776 Greasboro. Cannot find a death for him.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for all this.
I must renew my Ancestry and get back into it again and also purchase some information for Grenoside which seems to hold lots of information regarding my Norton line.
I assumed (incorrectly) that they were from the Heeley/Meersbrook/Norton area though my grandfather always told me they were from Ecclesfield orignally mind you, he always said he was descended from a John de Norton as told by the vicar of Ecclesfield!
Thanks again Dave & Elaine, you've given me the impetus to get back into it.
Regards,
Marlene

Re: Recent apprentices

Marlene,
According to the apprentice and free men's list Neddy Seddon did not purchase his freedom until 1807 (he was 31), which is the same year he took on John Norton as apprentice. I can find no further trace of him.
Dave

Re: Recent apprentices

Thank you Dave, another interesting piece of information.

Regards,
Marlene C.